Ultimate Mac Gaming Monster

Discussion in 'Games' started by Solafaa, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    You have unlimeted money and you have to build the best Mac gaming desktop what wll it be? please include speakers, mouse, keyboard and everything else.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    To state the obvious...

Maxed out dual 2.5 PM

[insert accessories list here]

3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    I hate to say it it would be dump the mac and build a gaming PC.

Mac computer stuck for gaming
  4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    I agree. If I were to do it over, I'd get a 15" powerbook and a small form factor shuttle, with a dual input display. Perfect for portability and gaming when at home.

No matter how fast that mac is, it won't be playing Half Life 2.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    PowerMac with a 23" DVI LCD and an XBox on a KVM switch.
  6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Well, the best Mac money can buy would also be the best gaming Mac. as previously stated, Dual 2.5 with all the bells & whistles. I'm drooling thinking about it.

Yet the latest Athlon PC would be faster still, play more games and cost less. :(
  7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Though I hate to admit it, a PC is a better choice for gaming. More games, runs them better, and cost less. Of course if it were a mac:
    Power Mac Dual 2.5 GHz G5 with speakers and a double-click mouse.
    But my iBook G4 runs gamespretty well. For such a buggy game, it runs Halo pretty well.
  8. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
  9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    IMHO I have the Ultimate Gaming Desktop!

Check it out:

My desktop consists of:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz (Rev A)
    1.5 GB RAM
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (OEM 128 MB VRAM)
    Logitech Z-680 Dolby 5.1 Speakers

Intel Pentium 4 3.6 GHz
    1.0 GB DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X800 XT (256 MB VRAM)
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MOMO wheel

The Mac is used for the MOHAA and COD games.
    The PC is used for racing, Doom 3, Far Cry, and (of course) Half Life 2.

The best gaming setup there is :D
  10. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    First go out buy a Falcon Northwest for home..
    Max that out

Then for other things get 15" Powerbook: 128mb vram, 1.5ghz processor, Superdrive, 1gb of ram, 80gb hdd.
    Then ounce you have that, give to me and keep the gaming pc.
  11. soloer macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2004
    I have something very similar!! Well, I only have a PB and not a PM, but for my PC, I have:

Athlon 64 3500+
    1.0 GB DDR RAM
    Radeon X800 XT Platinum
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Klipsch 5.1 speakers
    Two 250 GB SATA drives in Raid 0

I haven't turned it on much since I got my PB a couple months ago, but my Xbox isn't cutting it for games, and as you mentioned, HL2 is now out, so it's time to fire it back up :)

And back on-topic.. I'm waiting for Tiger to come out before I get a PM, but it will be the fastest available and I'll play whatever games I can on the PM :)
  12. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Yeah, next time I need a new setup, iBook and PC. unless Macs rule in gaming by then. And that setup is assuming my B&W stays running as my server.
  13. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Athlon FX for games, and PearPC for productivity :)
  14. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    good luck with being productive with PearPC
    0mhz g3 .... wow thats fast

15. Ozi macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia.
    LMAO willy...

I have EXACTLY that computer you mentioned... but no, you aren't getting it!

And I would have to agree: PC is the way to go for gaming. However, my computer does run most games no problems: UT 2004 is awesome, Halo is good on high settings, Homeworld 2 ROCKS. :)

16. hjhhjh macrumors member

Sep 30, 2004
    ya even my powerbook 1.33 ghz , 768 mb ram geforce fx 5200 go is sweet in almost everygame BUT call of duty on max settings, it lags in the first level where its all open :(, but otherwise its amazing at gaming, and soo small
  17. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    • Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
    • 8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8x1GB
    • 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
    • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Bluetooth Module
    • 56k V.92 modem
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card
    • Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $15,351.00

18. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    With apple's current driver implementation for the 6800, you'd get a shared FPS of ~3-4. lol

Seriously, that machine is not for gaming... it's for Richy Rich (who's low on mojo) the artist professional.
  19. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    I'm sorry but isn't the title of this thread kind of an oxymoron?
  20. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Well, considering that a 1 GHz Athlon emulates a 667 MHz G3, I'd expect an Athlon FX to do quite a bit better. But no, you decide to be funny and pluck this 0 MHz number from somewhere :eek:
  21. Muskie macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    The title is Ultimate Mac Gaming monster. Which is why I'm confused by some of your posts. This thread isn't supposed to be which PC you would get or why they're better for gaming. Just what Mac would you get for a great gaming experience.

I would go with the loaded Dual 2.5 G5. But realistically (keeping it mac) I would probably go Dual 1.8, 2 gigs of ram, 2x250 SATA hd, 9800XT 256mb, my current 17" ACD, Airport, BT with keyboard and mouse, Superdrive, and of course, AppleCare. Only $3876... ALMOST affordable... haha.
  22. JasonL macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA

That sounds like a good setup except:

1) the 17" Apple Studio Display (what I assume you mean) is not exactly a great display for gaming, and

2) BT isn't really the best for gaming either (I'd get an MX510 mouse)

I'd save the $$ on the HD upgrade and spend the extra hundred bucks to get the 6800 (GT or Ultra, for extra $$) instead of the 9800XT.

Good luck!
  23. Muskie macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    That's pretty true, but

1. I'm sorta trying to keep it cheap (even though its fictional) so using my current display (which I like for gaming) would be fine. I don't doubt though that a nice new 20 or 23" would be better.
    2. I know BT isn't the best, but I've always wanted a wireless keyboard, and I of course wouldn't use the Apple BT mouse, I would get something else.

And as for the 6800, I still am trying to keep this relatively cheap. I know the 6800 is a superior card, and it would be really nice to have so I could get one of thoe 30", but I think the 9800 XT would be fine (for a while at least... such is the world of technology)

It really doesn't matter at all though, cause there's no way I could afford anything like that right now.
  24. robo74 macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2004
    Near Chicago
    The people buying the PC's will spend more of their time fighting viruses and spy bot crap rather then playing games.

My dual 1.8 does fine with any game out there.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    How does that dual 1.8 do with Doom3 or Halflife 2??? You want a real gaming machine then you have to get a PC because Apple refuse's to get behind real gaming or real videocards. Sad but true.