Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Countr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before, but there is a lot of conflicting information on the web, so I'd appreciate it if someone would help me with this.

I'm visiting the US soon and I want to buy an ultimate Macbook Air 13" from a retail Apple store. The specs I want are 4GB RAM, 2.13GHz CPU and 256GB flash storage. I found several posts on this forum confirming that retail stores carry ultimate configurations, but I phoned the store in San Francisco and they said they only carried base configurations. I also tried to reserve a Macbook Air online via Apple's website, but again, I could only find base configurations.

Was the person who answered my phone call clueless? Is it not possible to reserve an ultimate Macbook Air 13" online?

Thanks.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before, but there is a lot of conflicting information on the web, so I'd appreciate it if someone would help me with this.

I'm visiting the US soon and I want to buy an ultimate Macbook Air 13" from a retail Apple store. The specs I want are 4GB RAM, 2.13GHz CPU and 256GB flash storage. I found several posts on this forum confirming that retail stores carry ultimate configurations, but I phoned the store in San Francisco and they said they only carried base configurations. I also tried to reserve a Macbook Air online via Apple's website, but again, I could only find base configurations.

Was the person who answered my phone call clueless? Is it not possible to reserve an ultimate Macbook Air 13" online?

Thanks.

which country are you visiting from?
do they not have an Apple online store in your country.

rarely will you see a fully specced Air in a store without specifically ordering same - CTO it's called.

my own advice would be to go online, order the machine you want with the required specs, click on the 'buy' button and await delivery

Countr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
which country are you visiting from?
do they not have an Apple online store in your country.

rarely will you see a fully specced Air in a store without specifically ordering same - CTO it's called.

my own advice would be to go online, order the machine you want with the required specs, click on the 'buy' button and await delivery

I'm from Europe. We do have Apple stores here, but I can save about 300 USD by buying from the US.

So retail stores don't stock 4GB MBAs? A pity, I guess ordering online is my only option then.

Thanks.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Many Apple stores carry the "ultimate" configurations in the store. The ones in tourist areas (e.g. 5th Avenue in NYC) are more likely to do so. Apple generally only promotes stock configurations, and you aren't as likely to find other configurations, such as the "base" 13" with 4GB, but since you want the top of the line, you might well find it in the store.

Don't always trust what the person on the phone says. The salesperson at the NYC store insisted they didn't carry the "ultimate" in the store, but then took a look in the back room and came out with one, new in box.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I found several posts on this forum confirming that retail stores carry ultimate configurations, but I phoned the store in San Francisco and they said they only carried base configurations.

There are three Apple Stores in San Francisco. Try calling call of them. You might get lucky.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Yes

I bought a fully loaded mac air before going to Spain in the store. But that was before Christmas. This was in the Westchester Mall, hardly a tourist area (though certainly a rich man's paradise-the apple store has a way of bringing in riff raff-us middle class folk).

Best idea is to call ahead. If you're visiting the store, perhaps you can also request they stock a specific one for you. They probably won't, but doesn't hurt to try.

Pixelryan

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington
Call any within traveling distance maybe. I called the one in Irvine California and they had it and even referred to it as the "ultimate"

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
How about ordering it on amazon or Macmall and shipping it to a friend or your hotel? You'll save another 100 or more on taxes ...

(unless you get taxes refunded at the airport when you leave. I know when I travel I usually get VAT or local taxes back at the end of the trip)

Hello,

Thanks.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Call any within traveling distance maybe. I called the one in Irvine California and they had it and even referred to it as the "ultimate"

Be sure you have them "check the back" I wasted 80 miles worth of time/fuel 'cuz some apple store lackey wasn't willing to check the back to see if they had any "ultimates" (BTW is the only 4gb MBA's they carry, ie maxed out 11's or 13's)in stock. Ended up driving to another store 40 miles away that did have it in stock. Was back in local Apple store for something else and just out of curiosity asked one of the workers there who "checked the back". He came back with "Yeah, we've got about 8 fully loaded ultimate 13's. Want one?" I was pissed!

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Be sure you have them "check the back" I wasted 80 miles worth of time/fuel 'cuz some apple store lackey wasn't willing to check the back to see if they had any "ultimates" (BTW is the only 4gb MBA's they carry, ie maxed out 11's or 13's)in stock. Ended up driving to another store 40 miles away that did have it in stock. Was back in local Apple store for something else and just out of curiosity asked one of the workers there who "checked the back". He came back with "Yeah, we've got about 8 fully loaded ultimate 13's. Want one?" I was pissed!

So the only 4gb MBAs they carry are the 'ultimate'? None with the non-upgraded SSD and Proc?

Countr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the input everyone. I called a couple of stores and got clueless sales people. I will try my luck while visiting the US. If I manage to grab one, fine. Otherwise I'll just order online.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Even fairly small Apple Store seem to have the ultimate version. They do not call it the ultimate version though, but it should be listed on the displayed price list.

Go to a larger / flagship store and they'll definitely have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.