Ultimate notebook cooler!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yOyOYoo, Mar 5, 2005.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2005

I was hesitant about spending $30 just for a piece of aluminum (like the icurve) or a piece of aluminum that had a computer fan in it, but this one changed my mind!

It's a laptop cooler with an adjustable fan, powered by USB, but the cool thing is that it also includes a USB converter for 4 USB outputs. This is perfect for me, since I can leave all my USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printer, flash card reader) constantly connected to the base and just "dock" my laptop when I get home.

It's really nice you should all get one of these!!!
  2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    What size is your PowerBook/iBook? How does it look on the cooler? Do you have any pictures of your laptop on that thing? Thanks.
  3. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004

i picked up an iBreeze for my 12" PB a while ago
    i like it plenty

but having 4 USB ports vs just the 1 that the ibreeze offers would be nice.. also being able to control the 'speed' of the fans...etc

might make it quieter during the night...etc
    that'd be nice

reguardless- it looks cool

size on the Labtech one ur are mentioning is:
    Dimensions: 300 x 262 x 20mm
    but it weights 1.5 lbs!

the ibreeze is all plastic- weighs just about nothing
    and is slightyly smaller than the footprint of my 12" pb...

6 to 1
    half dozen the other
    i'd guess...
  4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004

iCurve is plastic .. $30 for a piece of plastic, yeah! but I like mine.

but seriously I'm not sure how much the PBs need external fans .. I'd guess not much need at all
  5. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Does the fan make noise? It probably does, so it's no good to me. The pricing seems reasonable though, although I would replace the fans with some Papst german-engineered fans that run silent.
  6. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2005
    The fan is very quiet. The great thing about it is that the speed is adjustable. I can run the fan at a very slow speed or a very fast cooling speed.

I didn't think I would need a laptop cooler until recently I've been constantly running a lot of applications: word, iphoto, itunes, firefox, ichat, mac the ripper, and Roxio Popcorn: ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY.

And boy did my laptop start to get warm. Now it is very very cool. The biggest plus is the 4 USB ports. They REALLY come in handy. No need to get an ugly USB adapter, this laptop cooler does it all. I just come back home and plug in one USB cord (from the laptop cooler to the powerbook) and then i'm good to go.

As for the size of this thing, it is about 1 cm bigger than my 12" powerbook all around, so I'm guessing it would fit the 15" perfectly. It offers a slight tilt in the back, which can be raised by 2 legs, so that the monitor sits at a very comfortable viewing angle.

I'll try to post some pictures of the cooler later. It is black and is very subtle, so it doesn't stand out. The powerbook feels great on it. And just wanted to add that the USB ports are on the back, so all my cables are nicely hidden out of the way!

Just beautiful, I can't hype this thing enough. Best money I've spent on this powerbook (other than the incase notebook bag)
  7. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

Theres a review of it here. http://hi-techreviews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=807

Now I wonder if I can get one downunder with correct AC power...and will it fit my 17"...
  8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    ...Anybody else get the feeling that this noob "yOyOYoo" is trying to sell something...
  9. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004

I have a 15.in with 1.25 gigs of ram and have it constantly running at highest performance while doing video rendering, safari, itunes and photoshop opening (not with maximum efficency) and its on a icurve stand it is just mildly warm. I dont see the need for fans..Seems like a little elevation would do.
  10. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    Lol, I thought the same thing when I first checked out his post. But he did joi a while ago, and has 17 posts, so it is probably not true (....unless he did those posts on purpose, so that he did not seem suspicious!)
  11. expergo macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2004
    I use an ibook on a desk and encoding a dvd for 3 hours running at 65+C doesn't seem that healthy. Especially if done on a regular basis. I tried elevating it as well which made the process a little slower, but still went up to 70C sometimes.

I guess it's okay for the fan to kickin for a bit but I'm sure I wouldn't want my ibook running really hot for an extended period of time. I'm sure it would last either, I just want mine to last longer. =)

I use a laptop cooler now as well.
  12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    This is pretty nice. Last night I purchased some off brand stand for $20. I just wanted a little elevation for a reasonable price. What I noticed (which is why it is going back) is that it is about 1.5" all around smaller than my 15" pbook. When I was typing on it I rest my wrists on the pbook's corners mostly. I noticed that it was unstable and if I were to lift one hand the pbook would start to tip ever so slightly.

I will be using a kvm switch so in time I won't even be using the pbook's keyboard, but I still want something that is stable. I would hate for the pbook to jump off the desk because of some unstable stand.
  13. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2005

Wow does everyone here have to be so cynical and mean? Seriously I've just joined recently because I got my new powerbook (new mac convert) at the beginning of February. i was a lurker for a while trying to read as much about MAC as possible before making the switch, and I don't regret it one bit.

It just seems like people here like to jump on newbies. Everything people type is taken with so much seriousness around here. What's the point?

I liked this product, and when I like something yea I'll let other people know. i did a search and it didn't seem like this product was posted before. Jeez. Maybe i'm just taking your post too seriously, anyways just wanted to make the point that no i am in no way affiliated with this laptop cooler company or newegg, which by the way is a good place to buy tech stuff.
  14. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    I appologize for coming on harsh. I love to rant about products as well, it just sounded to me like you were pitching something...as it often shows up on these forums. No harm intended.