Ultimate Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Sep 24, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Anyone else pick up USM? 'twas awesome, I just beat it a short time ago. Wish it was a little longer, but it was great while it lasted. I'm hoping I'll find some kind of way to go back and play the old bosses though (in Spider-Man 2 there was a warehouse you could go to for that). Otherwise, I'll just go back and start a new score. It was that good :D

2. thepannist macrumors member

The drummer of my band actually played the drums that score the game. I haven't heard it yet, but he is a great drummer. Funny to think that millions of kids (and adults) will be hearing his drumming.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, that's just awesome, since yesterday me and a friend (who also bought it on day one) were commenting on just how much better the music is over the last game :D

4. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

5. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I would think, hes featured in the commercials.

6. thepannist macrumors member

I'll tell the drummer that!

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Really? I saw every single game trailer before the release, every single gameplay video, and had absolutely NO IDEA Carnage was in the game- in fact, from comments from the designers I was fairly sure he was not. Unless you're getting Venom and Carnage mixed up, or maybe the commercials show more than the trailers.

Anyway it came as a complete surprise when out of nowhere Carnage shows up and I kick his scrawny butt with Venom :D

Well, there's a twist, it's "sorta" Carnage, but yeah, he is, just for one chapter. Not gonna spoil it.

8. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Cool! Thanks. I told myself I need to do a bit more work before I buy this game, but I'm definitely going to get it now. :D

9. katchow macrumors 6502

i was thinking of picking it up on Xbox. How does it compare to the recent spidey-games?

I had the first one, and have come close several times to buying the second.

10. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, the one disadvantage to this game is that the story mode is quite short. Short but sweet; it's one of the best story modes I've seen in a long time, it just doesn't go on long enough.

You played Spider-Man 1 but not 2? Too bad about that :( Spider-Man 1 was just an average game. You go in one level, play through it, go to another level. When you web swing the webs attach to nothing and you just fly around.

Spider-Man 2 on the other hand had a huge free-roaming New York city, the webs attached to walls which you could swing around and Spider-Man could charge and do these huge jumps. If ther was nothing to swing off of, you couldn't swing. It was much more realistic, and the web swinging was so fun you could spend hours just swinging around the city doing nothing.

In Ultimate Spider-Man, it's similar to Spider-Man 2. A huge free roaming city. The comic book style makes everything look better. They changed the web swinging a bit (the buttons you use, and you can't do some of the more complex combos like shooting out two web lines at once, but the swinging is more accurate and allows for great boss chases. Some people get all disappointed just because they change the web swinging a little, but I don't mind, I like it), and the combat system a lot.

Spider-Man 2 has a terrible story mode- the cutscenes are a pain to watch- but the game itself is fun. Just webswinging around.

Ultimate Spider-Man has an awesome story mode that leaves you WAITING for the next cutscene because they are so excellently done.

If you have the money, go buy Ultimate Spider-Man. If you don't have the money, grab Spider-Man 2 (it's like $20 new at this point) and try it out.

How does it compare? I'd say it's the best of all the Spider-Man games, although it's not superior in EVERY way; Spider-Man 2 has some things it does differently (the way Spidey moves and swings and all kinds of stuff) that aren't better or worse, just different.

11. katchow macrumors 6502

hey thanks, i heard 1 and 2 were like night and day. I saw 2 on sale for 16 bucks at my local viddie store. I'll probably hop on that.