Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I've just come back from holiday and while there a mate I went with showed me his Sony Cyber-shot U ultra compact digital camera. It was great to have such a tiny point and shoot camera at hand, and now I want one! :D This is the current model of the camera he has. Yes, it's only 2MP, but that really isn't too important, if I want best quality I'll pinch my dads Fuji S602 ;) The Sony is just SOOOO small, it's great!

Before I buy though, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions about any other cameras in this sort of segment?

So, to sum up, what I'm looking for is an ultra compact (like the Sony) digicam, minimum 2MP, for around £200 (I can stretch if it's worth it though!)

Thanks!

BTW, the Sony I can get with an extra 128MB memory for £164.99.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
edesignuk said:
I've just come back from holiday and while there a mate I went with showed me his Sony Cyber-shot U ultra compact digital camera. It was great to have such a tiny point and shoot camera at hand, and now I want one! :D This is the current model of the camera he has. Yes, it's only 2MP, but that really isn't too important, if I want best quality I'll pinch my dads Fuji S602 ;) The Sony is just SOOOO small, it's great!

Before I buy though, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions about any other cameras in this sort of segment?

So, to sum up, what I'm looking for is an ultra compact (like the Sony) digicam, minimum 2MP, for around £200 (I can stretch if it's worth it though!)

Thanks!

BTW, the Sony I can get with an extra 128MB memory for £164.99.

i have the DSC - U20 myself -- bought it for the same reasons you did ultra compact

umm the Pentax S4i --- the camera is the size of a deck of cards, 4MP, 3x optical Zoom --- that camera is about to be discontinued, it costs 450$ Canadian, umm when it goes out of production it'll probably drop down to like 400$ canadian --- i'm thinking of buying this camera after my D70 comes in, since i don't want to carry that around with me everywhere

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
revenuee said:
umm the Pentax S4i --- the camera is the size of a deck of cards, 4MP, 3x optical Zoom --- that camera is about to be discontinued, it costs 450$ Canadian, umm when it goes out of production it'll probably drop down to like 400$ canadian --- i'm thinking of buying this camera after my D70 comes in, since i don't want to carry that around with me everywhere
Thanks for the suggestion. It does look to be a very nice little camera, but the cheapest I can find it for is £275, the Sony I can get for £119 :cool:. Now I know the Pentax has quite a significantly better spec, but as I said I have access to a Fuji S602 for the serious stuff.

Decisions, decisions...keep any ideas coming folks...:)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
edesignuk said:
Thanks for the suggestion. It does look to be a very nice little camera, but the cheapest I can find it for is £275, the Sony I can get for £119 :cool:. Now I know the Pentax has quite a significantly better spec, but as I said I have access to a Fuji S602 for the serious stuff.

Decisions, decisions...keep any ideas coming folks...:)

ya ... i quoted Canadian prices ... i had no idea what the EU prices would be

well the other one is the PowerShot SD10 Digital ELPH 4MP and only a digital zoom ... umm no idea of price though --- but it is tiny

and lest i forget ... the Casio EXILIM series of cameras all very petit across the board

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Sony t1

I think its the sony cybershot t1. But we got it for a vaction and loved it. Its about 5 MP 3x optical zoom. You are stuck with the memory stick duo format (why can't sony just use SD, its somewhat standard!!!!) Anyways, this thing is about the size of a deck of cards, or an ipod or whatever, I liked that it has the cover over the lens. I have seen alot of cameras that just have a thin piece of metal or something over the lens. Well in your pocket with keys, change, a pen, whatever, that isnt much protection. I like this camera, I dont like having to use a dock to transfer the pics, but I think you can pay some extra to get a special USB cable. But it isnt terrible and its so easy to use. its ready right then you just slide down the cover and in about a second and a half you are ready to snap a pic. I actually think it is more usable than my canon 10D. Especially as far as convenience. We got the T1 for I think 428$ a month or so back.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
edesignuk said:
Now also looking at the Canon IXUS i, any opinions on this camera?

edit: hmmmm...the IXUS i and the PowerShot SD10 look to be the same thing...

That's the camera I plan to buy in the next two weeks. The reviews I read were 90-95% positive and it is said to have excellent image quality. Only downside (and could be a big one) is that it's missing an optical zoom. It's 239 EUR at the moment at Amazon, which is about the cheapest I could find. Don't know about the price in Pounds.

Oh, and I read some reviews that said the camera has some problems with red eyes.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I have the Minolta DiMAGE Xt, and I think it is great. It is very small, has great startup and shot to shot time, and excellent battery life. It is a 3.2 megapixel camera, and has 3x optical zoom. I also like that it has a metal body, so it is very durable. I don't believe this is the latest model anymore, though. I think it goes for around $200 USD right now, which isn't much less than I paid for it last December. I don't know any price sites for the U.K., so you'll have to let me know how much it costs in £.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Canon S500

Definitely get the Canon Elph S500 compact camera. They are rated VERY good on a lot of review web sites. You can't go wrong with a Canon.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
edesignuk said:
Now also looking at the Canon IXUS i, any opinions on this camera?

edit: hmmmm...the IXUS i and the PowerShot SD10 look to be the same thing...

I use a Ixus II 3.2mp as my everyday camera, it is a nice size and take good photos. It will just about print up to A4 & I get good 6x4 prints at my local mini lab. I will post some shots.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Don't go for the IXUS 1 - there's no optical zoom (IIRC) - they also look fairly crappy in real life. I decided upon the S400 (IXUS 400 here in UK, sir) because it's tiny, it's sexy and it's really fairly cool. I'm still working out how to use the manual adjustment, but it takes really good photos out of the box on auto. Go for the S500 (IXUS 500), you won't go wrong. Only problem I have is you can only set the shutter speed in ISO settings, and such. Still for a point n' shoot it's well tasty.

BTW, got mine from Ebuyer - I got the US model because it was a lot cheaper. Check them out, I think they had the DiMage too... also cheap flash memory.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Thanks for the help guys. I've just placed my order for a "Canon IXUS i" (also known as the PowerShot SD10 :confused: ) and an additional 256MB high-speed SD card :cool:. Can't wait for it to arrive!

cheering.gif

edit: dammit brap, I didn't wanna read that!!! :eek: lol. it has a 1x optical & 5.7 digital (digital is sh*t i know, but anyway...). As I say, I wanted a tiny point 'n shoot, and I think I got that with this one.

edit 2: That IXUS 400 is £276 at best, I just got the IXUS i for £169, that's a huge difference!

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Just out of curiosity edesignuk, what was the price in £ for the Canon IXUS i you went with? Did you look up a UK price for the Minolta I recommended above, and if so, can you post it too?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Elan0204 said:
Just out of curiosity edesignuk, what was the price in £ for the Canon IXUS i you went with?
;)
edesignuk said:
edit 2: That IXUS 400 is £276 at best, I just got the IXUS i for £169, that's a huge difference!
Elan0204 said:
Did you look up a UK price for the Minolta I recommended above, and if so, can you post it too?
Just looked it up now for you, £169, same as the Canon I just ordered.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
edesignuk said:
edit: dammit brap, I didn't wanna read that!!! :eek: lol. it has a 1x optical & 5.7 digital (digital is sh*t i know, but anyway...). As I say, I wanted a tiny point 'n shoot, and I think I got that with this one.
This is true, although I went with the thought that I'd be as careful with a £170 camera as with a £300 (it was a long time ago!) camera... plus 'twas for my 21st party[ies].
Yeah, I paid waaay too much. That's just over a month's Canterbury rent... *sobbing*. Best of luck!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I went with the black one by the way. You can get it in Silver, Bronze, White or Black.

Silver - Most small cameras are silver, boring!
Bronze - Yuck!
White - How grubby would that look after a week or two? :rolleyes:
Black (& still with silver) - Ah, that'll do nicely thank you! :cool: :D

canonixusi.jpg

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
don't get the Canon SD10

having it as a fashion accessory is one thing, but the camera's got NO OPTICAL ZOOM.

I guess if you want to move up everytime near the subject just to take a snap, be my guest.

i think the SD10 is one of the least economical cams out there --- at the very least, consider Canon's SD110 or S410.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
edesignuk said:
I went with the black one by the way. You can get it in Silver, Bronze, White or Black.

Silver - Most small cameras are silver, boring!
Bronze - Yuck!
White - How grubby would that look after a week or two? :rolleyes:
Black (& still with silver) - Ah, that'll do nicely thank you! :cool: :D

You do not by chance have a bigger pic of that cam? :D
Some people are on dial-up here :D

I have the Ixus 400 and am really happy with it(Canon's just make awesome pictures). The only thing I could constantly smack Canon for is the lack of a battery meter. Someone should go over there and smack the **** out their dev team or whoever made that decision to still not implement this.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Pretty nice for a go everywhere snapper camera.

I wish they would hurry up and put 3-4 megapixel cameras like this into mobile phones...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.