Ultra sound therapy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, went for this my first time today.

After pulling my hamstring playing ultimate (running to intercept the disk to prevent a point, I pushed a little too hard and felt the muscle pop). Not much you can do, except wait for it to heal - I thought. But I found out that you can get an ultra sound treatment and figured - sure, why not.

Well, first off, it worked. Not totally healed yet, but it feels so much better. We'll see, I might be out playing again next week.

But if anyone who's had this can tell you its closer to electro shock therapy than anything else.....OMG - it felt like the doctor had put my leg in a wall socket. The device uses 2.5 watts of power for electro stimulation and ultra sound that heats things up.....nutso.

I should have realized I was in for it when he said 'ok, get ready and hold on tight'

Oh, and it lasted 10 minutes....:D

Anyone else go through this torture/treatment?

D

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I had something similar to this after a car accident 4.5 years ago, but I don't think it was the same thing.

The therapist applied gel to my shoulders, then put this heating pad kinda device over it, then placed a couple small towels over that. The padded device was connected to an electro-device that sent small electro waves into my shoulder muscles.

When she turned it up too much, my muscles would contract & I couldn't move. The sessions lasted up to 15 mins or so, and it relieved ALL of the tension I felt in my shoulders & neck. :D

4. judith macrumors regular

judith

How much better it feels, how much you would like to resume playing frisbee as soon as next week, and how much pain you've endured due to both the injury and the treatment, are all relative.;)

So, was the treatment worth seeking in your opinion?

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Eye: that treatment you had is something I get every week at the chiropractor after an adjustment....its great and I look forward to it.

This other treatment the heating comes from the ultra sound and the wattage is upped considerably. It was almost painful at times. The Dr. gave me a towel and said hold on to this and squeeze ;)

But I will say its feeling a whole lot better and I'll know in a few days how well it worked. If I can go running on Monday I'll be happy - that will be considerably sooner than expected.

D

6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Yeah I had it done on my neck for 3 times a week for 3 weeks about. My disks got all twisted around then my neck tried to splint the disks from moving making my neck as tight as it could be and took all the curve out of my neck. :(

Yeah thats a weird feeling huh, yeah it was painful at times.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Sounds like some good stuff Mr. A. How many treatments is the usual recommendation, or does it depend upon the injury?

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Ultra sound therapy

hey, get better soon

about the treatment...it sounds kinky and you better inform miss vniow on that one ;)

my brother used to be a pro athelete, actually semi pro since his sport has very few working volleyball players, and he would always get those type of injuries...he shortened his career with injuries

be careful and don't run around like a 21 year old;) :p

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: Ultra sound therapy

hell...he already does... ;)

honestly though...I'd be willing to bet Mr. A would outrun most of us around here...

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When you mentioned Chiropractor treatments Mr. Anderson, I thought about you after seeing this story last night on our local news. It is precautionary whenever you have a visit. According to neurologists there is a risk of stroke. Please be careful Mr. Anderson.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/2666217/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150011272003

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Ultra sound therapy

ha, well, things are feeling much better today - if this continues I'll go for a run on Monday :D

and jef - one of my joys as an almost 40 y.o. is out running the 20 somethings on the field :D

D

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Ultra sound therapy

in sports-speak, you are like a regular nolan ryan:D