Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German developers The Soulmen today released a new version of popular writing app Ulysses, bringing Touch Bar support, Tabs in macOS Sierra, and a host of other new features and performance improvements.

From Wednesday, users launching version 2.7 of the award-winning app on Touch Bar equipped MacBook Pros will see new contextual functions for Ulysses in the OLED strip, bringing the ability to assign markup tags directly while they write.

MacBook_TouchBar-800x534.jpg

Ulysses 2.7 now also includes tabbed windows in macOS Sierra, making it possible to switch between multiple open texts within the same window.

Elsewhere, Ulysses now offers full support for the TextBundle format outside its iCloud library. TextBundle combines Markdown text and all referenced images into a single file for convenience, and Ulysses now allows writers to use images when working from Dropbox or other storage providers.

The latest update also makes it easier to switch from Evernote to Ulysses, by allowing users to import ENEX Evernote export files containing multiple notes, upon which individual sheets are created for each note.

In addition, a new Reading Time writing goal has been added to the existing options (number of characters, words, or pages), while a number of more general improvements, bug fixes, and stability enhancements have also been implemented in the latest version of the app.

Ulysses 2.7 is available for MacOS and iOS on the Mac App Store and App Store respectively, and is a free update for existing users. The Mac app costs $44.99, while the universal iOS app costs $24.99.

Article Link: Ulysses 2.7 Brings Touch Bar Support, macOS Sierra Tabs and More to Popular Writing App

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Fantastic app - and no, I didn't get it for free, I purchased both the Mac and iOS versions myself.

Despite being aimed at writers, I primarily use Ulysses to write lecture notes for my Law degree. It's a beautiful and simple interface for holding all of my lecture notes which can then be keyword-searched easily. If I'm in a seminar / tutorial / whatever people call them, and someone mentions a case, I can pop the name into the keyword search and instantly be taken back to the exact spot in the lecture where the case was introduced.

It also provides a complete library of my three years of lecture notes, all backed up to the cloud, and easily exported to PDF and so on.

Not to mention I can access my lecture notes on all my devices thanks to iCloud sync and brilliant Mac-iOS interplay.

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Fantastic app - and no, I didn't get it for free, I purchased both the Mac and iOS versions myself.

Despite being aimed at writers, I primarily use Ulysses to write lecture notes for my Law degree. It's a beautiful and simple interface for holding all of my lecture notes which can then be keyword-searched easily. If I'm in a seminar / tutorial / whatever people call them, and someone mentions a case, I can pop the name into the keyword search and instantly be taken back to the exact spot in the lecture where the case was introduced.

It also provides a complete library of my three years of lecture notes, all backed up to the cloud, and easily exported to PDF and so on.

Not to mention I can access my lecture notes on all my devices thanks to iCloud sync and brilliant Mac-iOS interplay.

I second that. Worth every $. Uses this every day for meeting notes. Exports to word or publish to wordpress. This does it all.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
These guys are seriously among the cream of the crop for app development. I've been using Ulysses for two years now, and it's all I need. Beautiful, bullet-proof, cross-platform functionality. There's simply nothing better. Worth every last penny. I've used it for two novels, all my journal writing, and more and more just for miscellaneous thoughts and notes. The dev are super-responsive, too. This one's a no-brainer if you're looking for something that'll handle writing.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015
I'm another fan. I started using Ulysses purely and simply because Scrivener was not then available on iOS. Now it is, but I find that Ulysses is still my writing (and reading) app of choice. I can echo what's said about about developer responsiveness; I have emailed them so many times, often about things relating to readability rather than writing and they've given me pretty much everything I've asked for. Brilliant, brilliant app, on both iOS and Mac OS. So much so that I'd now think a million times before going android or windows because I can't bear to lose the simplicity, elegance, and all round functionality of Ulyssses.

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I LOVE their apps. I found out about them 2 years ago and use Ulysses for iPad and Mac almost exclusively for writing now. They constantly are improving things and the developers are super awesome people too. I wish them all the best.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I'm another fan. I started using Ulysses purely and simply because Scrivener was not then available on iOS. Now it is, but I find that Ulysses is still my writing (and reading) app of choice. I can echo what's said about about developer responsiveness; I have emailed them so many times, often about things relating to readability rather than writing and they've given me pretty much everything I've asked for. Brilliant, brilliant app, on both iOS and Mac OS. So much so that I'd now think a million times before going android or windows because I can't bear to lose the simplicity, elegance, and all round functionality of Ulyssses.
The Scrivener interface and I never got along. And once I started working primarily on my iPad I had to have a writing app that used cloud storage and that would sync seamlessly with my laptop.

I'm happy that so many love Scrivener but Ulysses just works better for my needs. And the interface is a joy to use.

Reactions: Lisat78

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The Scrivener interface and I never got along. And once I started working primarily on my iPad I had to have a writing app that used cloud storage and that would sync seamlessly with my laptop.

I'm happy that so many love Scrivener but Ulysses just works better for my needs. And the interface is a joy to use.
I find Scrievner to be much more powerful, and it has true rich text editing (with wonderful "compile" option to reformat). But I do agree that Ulysses has more modern UI and feels more modern to boot.

But if you need rich text editing with attachments, and need to merge multiple drafts into one, Scrievner is still the way to go.

marcelgladbach

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
I love Ulysses, it's my favorite app for both, iOS and Mac.
The simple design, and perfect usability... extremely nice.

Reactions: Telos101

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Another vote for Ulysses. I've gradually migrated virtually all my writing into its library -- the one big omission being that it has no proper support for Fountain plain-text syntax for screenwriting. But for other forms of text, it's a dream.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I find Scrievner to be much more powerful, and it has true rich text editing (with wonderful "compile" option to reformat). But I do agree that Ulysses has more modern UI and feels more modern to boot.

But if you need rich text editing with attachments, and need to merge multiple drafts into one, Scrievner is still the way to go.

I view Ulysses as perfectly suited for journaling, blogging, a personal journal, or notes.

I probably wouldn't tackle a novel in it. Poor support for research files and I don't like the idea of ALL my writing in one place. I'd want my novel separate from my other material.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015

To be fair, Scrivener is still my writing app of choice on my rMBP. However, I now prefer to write on the iPad and there's things that Scrivener on ios doesn't seem to do yet, such as allow more granular control of compiling. I know the feature's there to enable/disable compile on each text, but in my experience when you hit 'compile' you're still getting everything in that project's draft folder. That, the lack of dark mode and no html export sent me back to Ulysses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.