Um... Outlook2Mac. Don't get it.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I bought it and run it, and it wants me to tick the folders which needs to be exported. There are about 4,000 folders in my outlook inbox (about 3,500 research folders and 500 personal folders) and I couldn't possibly manually select them all. I just tried exporting my personal folders (and even that took a day to export) and importng them into Entourage. Problem is it seems to be asking me to confirm the import of each folder. I can't do that.

This whole solution is completely unusable. Is this total POS the only option for Outlook > Entourage export? I can't believe this. Or am I doing something wrong? I'd seriously appreciate some advice. Until this is resolved I'm still hopping between a Mac and a PC and it's not a good situation.

2. MacMarvin macrumors member

Can't you move all your folders into a new folder inside outlook and then export that root folder?

How come you have so many emails anyhow? Don't you export them to html or whatever for archiving? If you keep all the files in your mail software, it'll eventually clog up.

My brother had about 4GB of sent mail stored in his Mail.app before it messed up.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Mine didn't do that to me. Perhaps you have some verify switched turned on. I just clicked on the root PST file and it did everything in a few hours. Also I had a lot more email than you.

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Um... OK, maybe I am being a thickie. I run the tool on the PC and it generated a whole bunch of mbox files (seemingly one for every folder that I ticked) as well as vcards. Is there a Mac version for directly reading an exported PST that I missed? I have about 14Gb of online emails.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish a Mac version existed. I organized my emails by year. Each pst includes 1 year of email. If it approaches close to 16 thousand then you have to split it due to a email folder limitation. I did this because I didn't want a ton of mboxes. I use Smart Folders to organize my email on my Mac so organizing by physical folders isn't as necessary.

Also before I converted, I sorted my emails by size. I found about 1% of the emails with attachments that took a big junk of the size. I extracted the attachments manually from those mega emails and basically deleted the emails if it wasn't necessary to keep them after the attachments were deleted. Then I make sure I don't convert any SPAM emails.

6. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

The folders are carefully arranged for a reason. I couldn't break the format now. All attachments regardless of size have to be converted as they contain project notes, drawings, etc.

So I am at least using it the right way? It's just that the program is too crap for my needs?

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think that's a little harsh. Your needs might be more than the app can handle but 4000 folders with x amount of mail inside is a heck of a lot and possibly more than it was designed to handle gracefully.

It might be worth dropping a mail to the developers to see if they can shed any light on an easier way of doing things? Or to ask if it is a limit of the software.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My husband used it about a year ago, and he thought it was great. He only had about a thousand e-mails, mind you.

If I understand you correctly, you have too many folders to tick off each one individually and confirm, and you need the folder system you've created, but if you move all your folders into one folder, then tick off that one, couldn't you just unpack your folders again once they're where you want them to be? Or won't the program handle folders within folders? If it works, it'll take a long time, but you wouldn't have to spend an hour ticking off each folder and confirming.

It does sound like the amount of mail you have is more than the program was designed to handle. I know several switchers who have used it, though, and were thrilled at how easy the conversion was. Your situation isn't the norm.

9. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

As an example, in my research folders I have lists of companies I'm looking into: They're categorised A-Z in folders, then under those folders I have companies. I have individual programs and systems I'm managing, and those get folders along with requisite subfolders. All in all I have about 4,000 subfolders under the Inbox, and about 15Gb of emails in total.

The way the program works, I would need to tick each and every one of those folders. The way the import at the other end goes would be impractical, seeing as each folder has to be effectively imported manually and in their respective locations as O2M destroys the folder relations in exporting. In other words, unusable. Hopefully the makers will get back to me. I wasn't expecting much for $10 and I wasn't surprised. Are there really NO other options for proper business users? Perhaps my case is extreme but I know many other people who have Outlook inboxes which do approach the thousand folders / 10Gb email numbers.