Umax Driver Update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eric_n_dfw, Apr 17, 2002.

1. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

I emailed Umax again asking if they are still working on OS X drivers for my Astra 6400 scanner. Today I got the following back:
    Well, at least they admit to still working on them!

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm still waiting on HP for their ScanJet driver updates too... it's now well past 12 o'clock, Stevie... crack the whip on these guys! ;)

3. jermsmingy macrumors regular

Astra 6400

Hey I emailed them back in December and got the same reply because I have that scanner. Don't count on them coming out anytime soon.

4. groov' macrumors regular

may

On different sites (don't remember where) they mentioned "somewhere in may" for drivers for the 'cheap' Umax scanners.

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    UMAX and Mac

Umax scanners and Mac's have had a reasonably good relationship for quite a while...so much so, that I picked Umax scanners for our educational technology suggested systems price page for our district.

I recently bought a new (low end) Umax for our ed tech lab and attempted to find the drivers on their site to connect it to the QuickSilver "teaching" station. Not only was the driver software declared "in beta and unsupported" for the Mac, it didn't even install when I downloaded it...just simply crashed the computer.

I usually give things a few chances, but when it starts becoming a hassle, I'll look for another solution entirely. I took Umax off of our recommended price page and replaced it with the Canon line.

Buh bye, Umax. :mad:

6. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

It is kind of disappointing to see that OS X still lacks support for a whole list of items people still use: Scanners, some printers, and even a few CD-RWs.

Lucky me, OS X supports my Epson 880 and my Lacie CD-RW :) .

Seriously, there really should have been more incorporated drivers into the software, or at least more free drivers up and running people can download.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Your not the only one, I bought quite an expensive scanner from HP + I still cant use it in OSX!