UMD Movies

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phat_Pat, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

So what do you guys think of the PSP's movie's?

Do you think that its practical, and do any of you guys own any?

Personally i don't think that watching a movie on the little screen is practical. I mean thats what Portable DVD players are for.

One way i think that sony could up the sale of UMD movies is to incorporate a UMD playback function in future DVD players, and drop the price on UMD movies. Some people just want to the movie and no special features and a $11.95 version opposed to a $22.95 may be more appealing to them....

i dunno what you guys think?

2. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Beta anyone?

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

IMO, the UMD version should be provided for free with any DVD purchase. Then I might consider buying the PSP.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would not pay more then $10 for any UMD, period. I don't understand how they can charge more for the UMD version when it can only play on the PSP (at the moment). Second, no game should be over $30. Nintendo has the idea and look how their sales are doing. i haven't bought a game in months, I just rent them. I have saved a ton of money by going that direction because I usually beat the game by the time I need to bring it back.

5. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

where do you rent PSP games :confused:

6. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i never watch movies on my psp the screens too small, and its not worth paying for a movie that you can only watch on a 3" screen

plus i have a laptop

7. Toreador93 macrumors regular

8. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Yep - I've done that a couple of times with mine - just make sure you have a 1GB Memory Stick. The PSP is perfect for viewing movies on the the way to work - 1/2 on the way, 1/2 on the way home. And if you get bored, you can also play games too!!! :D

aussie_geek

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I agree with you in some things. But lets also remember that it would still suck if you could watch UMD movies on your TV... The PSP's resolution does not compare with a television's resolution. Think about it. Something that was meant to be viewed in a 3" screen, stretched to 27" or more....

10. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I think it's a dumb idea with any closed format type of media.

11. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

hm that is an interesting point...

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

My boss owns a few for his PSP, I watched Ghost Busters on mine recently when there was nothing to do at work. The quality of the video/audio was great (with headphones of course).

Personally I think they are a waste of money, I'd prefer to spend my money on DVDs or games.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It'd make more sense to buy DVD movies and rip them to the PSP, except:

1) The memory cards that can fit that are expensive
    2) It's illegal in some countries (like the US) to crack the encryption on DVD movies (required to rip them), even though in the US there is another law that states you are allowed to back up anything you own.

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Blockbuster here have a bunch available.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't buy any movie that came on a limited propriety format when there are DVD's going for less with more features.

i'd love to see Sony squeeze a series of Spooks (or longer still; 24) onto one of those UMD discs. bye bye quality!

16. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I have a couple movies, I buy certain titles if they are on sale. They are overpriced in any case. But the image quality is amazing and no one would complain about the size of the screen if they actually saw a movie running. Also, the PSP is only a foot away from your head so I'm not sure what the point of the screen being any bigger would be. I do agree with the idea of bundling UMDs with DVDs.

17. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

No use or care for UMD movies. I play the PSP at work, during the overnight shift. The PC there has a DVD drive. I watch movies on that PC.

Even if I didn't have access to a DVD drive or player, UMDs would NOT be something I would look into. They are over priced, IMO. I see a massive blow out and possible Sony dropping the UMD movie line. There won't be a massive annoucement, just a quiet pull out. Like what was done with the PS2 HD.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i remember my girlfriends Sony-fanboy brother was getting all happy and smiley when it was rumoured that Advent Children would come out only on UMD.

i just said "I dont think Square want to lose anymore money" :)