UMD woes

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=73348

Not really surprising is it? Sony should have at least released a cheap UMD player you could plug into a TV. even at low resolutions it could have extended the lifespan of the medium. Alas.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why would they do that though? Can't you already plug your PSP into your TV to watch UMD's? I was thinking there was an addon for that.

Even so UMD's generally cost more than a DVD. People already have DVD players. Not too many people would go out to buy a UMD player to play a lower quality format that costs more.

3. buffalo macrumors 65816

well it's really not a UMD woe, just as UMD movie woe

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well to say UMD films are being pulled, and most stores sell more films than games. It's a bit of an "hmm" situation.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not surprising. another sony format goes down the drain.

if sony wants Blu-ray to succeed they hopefully have learned from their past mistakes, but why would they have?

6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

No, you can't without an expensive adapter which most people don't really know about. Maybe if UMD movies were between $9.99 and 14.99 they would sell better I dunno. I think a lot of us saw this coming and Sony truly deserves it. This is just like the whole Memory Stick thing, where only their devices would use it so it scared people away from buying their Clie PDAs, cameras, camcorders, etc.

When will sony learn that no one likes proprietary formats.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

UMD is still moving along in the form of games so it does not matter to me. UMD movies was doomed from the start.....so tell me something...do you guys fish the net to post bad stuff about sony(I'm not a fan or anythng but its like a new negative sony thread everyday)

Bless

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

That would be because this forum is full of nintendo fanboys that cant seem to accept anything but nintendo.

UMD Games arent going anywhere, they sell quite well. I believe there is a new GTA for the PSP soon, then of course Crisis Core FF will be out and we all know that will sell out just as fast as when Gran Tourismo finally releases for the PSP. Both the DS and the PSP have their merits and their fallbacks, its a bit tiring to see the attitudes in this particular forum at times though.

Ed

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

When Windows is no longer the dominant OS?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I figured the UMD was just a way to push the failed Sony mini-disc.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't fall into all the anti-PS3 and anti-Sony hype, but UMD is one thing I genuinely hoped (and knew) would fail. It's WAY too proprietary, only works with the PSP, can't be played on a big screen, costs more than DVD and has less features than DVD. Who would buy it?

12. maxi macrumors regular

I think this piece of news is pretty interesting because it sets a precedent on a sony-propietary-movie-distribution-format. Doesn't that sound familiar? I'd like to see what movie studios make of it. I know I would think twice before investing in a sony format if one had just failed a couple of months before...
    I wonder what this will mean for the HD-DVD Vs. BluRay war :confused: :confused:

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't know that too many people are knocking UMD games. The only real downsides to UMD games is longer load times, probably more batter consumption and spinning disks in a device you shake. As a format it works though... the article is only saying that UMD movies are being pulled at Target (among other stores in previous articles).

UMD as a movie format was a nice try but failed. They were simply looking for a portable DVD type and the consumer wasn't fooled especially when a decent majority of the people realized they could store their cheaper DVD's on a high capacity memory card. The format of UMD movies works well for children on long road trips but I don't think it works for the average adult that prefers watching movies on their television. It really works about the same as the Gameboy Advance Video cartridges which were solely children's cartoons. Sony may have done better to limit UMD to movies to children's movies (at least until and if parents/old folks desired "better" movies for themselves).

The problem with this though is that the PSP is not a children's handheld. The DS by far has more children's television and movie games which kids like. I'm not talking about 8 year old Mikey how ties fire crackers to the neighbors cat. He wants a PSP for sure (but he has cats to play with anyway). I'm talking about the average droning in front of Saturday morning cartoon child. I believe they have a better fit for the Gameboy or the DS due to marketing.

I don't know that Sony "lost" anything by putting movies on UMD but I don't believe it's profitable at this point and pulling out of that would be a good thing.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

BTW, Office Space makes a great UMD. The only one I own. Guess I better pick up a few more before they're all gone!

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

mx2.com has just announced they've reduced all UMD films to clear. Is the UK following suite now?

EDIT: interestingly the UMD's have now just dropped to the price of their DVD counterparts. £9. dire.