Umm... not quite sure what this is...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonD25, Apr 6, 2006.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

It was there, now it's gone, but luckily I took a screen shot before it dissapeared. I opened up my System Preferences tonight and suddenly I have a new button in my "Hardware" section titled "Ink". I was rather curious, as I had never seen it there before. I go to it and it seems to have some settings for if I were to be using a tablet of some sort. I had no idea what it was since it was never there before and I didn't change anything about my hardware at all, and I have an Intel iMac, with no use of any sort of tablet feature anyway. Then just before I posted this, I checked again and it was gone. Weird. Maybe this is nothing, but maybe it's something. Just curious I suppose. Attached is the screen shot.

Attached Files:

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm thinking somehow you managed to get Inkwell temporarily activated.

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like it, but I don't get how. It happened again just a second ago, and I tried to take another screen shot, but the shortcuts weren't working for some reason. I close system preferences, shorcut starts working again, open system prefs again, and it's gone.....

And now System Preferences won't even launch. I'm getting the error message "The application 'System Preferences' cannot by launched. -10810" ...... what the heck.

And now it works... and Ink is back.... ummm.... help?

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This is very strange. Are you using an unusual mouse, maybe one that's new on the market, with a lot of extra functions? Perhaps your system is recognizing it as a tablet?? :confused:

5. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Who ever invented 'Ink' must have been tripping. It's the maddest software I've ever seen. I refuse to believe that anyone can make it work.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Works fine for me. The handwriting recognition is pretty good, although it takes a little getting used to.

7. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, just the mighty mouse. It never did this before. I did just have a kernel panic recently from stupidly trying to run some software I shouldn't have. But as soon as I got the panic, I ran the uninstaller for it and spotlighted it just to be sure I got everything, and it's gone now. That's the only thing that I can think of that happened recently that might trigger something like this. I've repaired permissions, I've scanned the disk for errors, I've run maintencance stuff with Onyx. Everything is still acting buggy. I do have a system backup from about a week ago that I can use if needed, but if I can fix my problem without going a week back in time I would prefer that.

8. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, also the power got cut out on me 3 or 4 times in the last few days. I don't know if that might have anything to do with it either. Needless to say, it hasn't bee a good week for my mac.

Aaaahhhh.... Disk Utility won't even open now.

9. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I recommend that you backup all important files at this time. It is possible that you have HD damage due to the power failures.

Be safe, don't be sorry.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Backup is good.

The damage may be only to the logical structure of your data on the hard drive.

After backing up, you should start with a Repair Disk (boot from the OSX CD and choose Disk Utility from the top menu). Make note of what it reported and whether it was able to successfully repair, and what the SMART status is of the drive.

Then reboot and do a Repair Permissions.

If you are lucky, this will be all you need to put it straight

11. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Check how much room you have left on your HD.

12. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, no worries there. About 117 GB. Upgrading to the 250 GB drive was a great decision for me :)

Well, I checked the disk again for errors, nothing. I then repaired permissions again, but this time, I clicked on the start up partition "Macintosh HD" and repaired. It found a few and repaired them. I didn't know I had to click on the actual partition since I only have one partition. I don't know. So I did that, and it seems like things haven't been bugging out on me lately, so I think that might have been it. I'll come back if things start messing up again.

13. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Fair enough! The reason I asked this was because my HD filled up once, and one of the side effects was the "Ink" preference pane showing up.

14. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Noooooo...... it's starting again. Aaaaaahhhhh

Disk Utility won't show up. It just sits on the dock but no window comes up. Right clicking shows that it is not responding. The Ink thing is back as well. And pretty much everything is like it was. Please help.

15. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

To continue the ongoing saga, for a while, System Preferences was all buggy in that when I unlocked it to make changes, the lock swung open, but everything stayed locked. One of the things was that I didn't have my firewall on. I know people say Macs are all secure and there's no such thing as a Mac virus, but my problems just seemed to act like one sometimes. I couldn't open Disk Utility, I couldn't open Activity Monitor, System Preferences was buggy and I couldn't unlock it to turn the firewall back on, and some other programs just wouldn't open. Oh, and at one point, disk images wouldn't mount and neither would my external hard drive. Anyways, I ended up logging out and in to my Administrator account, and things seemed to have resided. I went in to System Preferences from there and turned the firewall back on, made sure everything was working ok, then logged out and back in to my user account. So far so good, but I backed up all my important files and most everything I made changes to in the last week since I backed it up (thanks SuperDuper!) but one of the main differences between the two is that I upgraded to 10.4.6 during then, so if I restore it, I'll have to re-upgrade.

16. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

What I ended up doing was restoring from a backup of my system. I ended up screwing that up too and so I decided to just do a clean reinstall. Fixed everything, so perhaps not needed. Do you have another account besides the one you use all the time? Like a seperate administrator account or maybe someone else in the family having a seperate account? Try switch to it and see if you still have problems. Most of my problems seemed to not come up when I did that. I imagine I could have backed up my important files and deleted that account and create a new one, but there's no real telling since I didn't try that. If that doesn't work, I'd say bite the bullet and reinstall. Hopefully you have a large enough external hard drive so you can back up all your important files. If not, definitly invest in one. It was one of the best purchases I've ever made.

17. frankm007 macrumors regular

So it was all software, no more problems since then?, i think im going to re-install

18. haiggy macrumors 65816

You know what is creepy? This just happened to me too! I plugged in my parent's wireless USB KB and Mouse though... and now it's gone after I unplugged them.. Soooo strange.

19. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. Ever since I reinstalled, she works like buttah.

20. frankm007 macrumors regular

then so be it! i'll re-format then. I am curious what it might have been...

did you:
    install power controller (the new intel version)
    install parallel
    run apple's firmware update?

i feel as if one of those 3 began causing the problem...

21. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. I'm not really sure what started it. I think it was trying to install Pro Tools LE 7 actually. But I'm not certain.