Ummm, I don't use Windows...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TigerPRO, Apr 7, 2005.

1. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I got this email this afternoon. It's a pretty funny cloy by some desperate virus writers. But I think they need to do some more market research; I don't user windows anymore. :)

The website that link took me too is a stunning rendition of the Windows Update site. I was truely impressed. If it wasn't for the IP address based URL, and the same ".exe" files linked too for both "Express" and "Custom" installs, they'd have a pretty convincing tactic. lol.

Attached Files:

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

`

I wonder how many people are going to fall for that. It does look REALLY good. I know none of us Mac people will ever get e-mails like that because we do all our updating through the Software update. I REALLY feel bad for the suckers that fall for that.

3. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

My guess would be about 90% of all internet users would fall for it. If you saw their website too, it would be even more convincing...

I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to post the link, even though this is a Mac site with mostly Mac users???? Probably not.

4. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

OMG thats too funny, numbers of people are responding to that very email right now...

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all the more reason as to why spammers need to be shut down, tactics like this are just wrong, im glad that im a smart computer user and have a Mac

6. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think those two usually go hand in hand.

7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well what is email address though. It woudl make since to send out a group email that covers 95% of the people and it a good safe way to get everything updated that needs to be done and to help prevent the spred of virus so I think it a good think MS is going though the trouble to email everyone.

I know my hotmail account gets emails like this from time to time.

8. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

The email headers were forged, so it looked like it was coming from "update@microsoft.com", which it really wasn't. And it would not really be a good idea for Microsoft to send out updates via email. Because with these kinds of tricks, it would help spread viruses, not help prevent them. Of course, my only advice to windows users is "Get a Mac".

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

It is true though, most JoeSchmoe/Grandma would fall for this trap.

Of course, any more technical user would already be questioning getting an email, from Microsoft at that. And secondly, to update? You tell me when in Microsoft's history they have sent out emails to their customers?

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hehehehe. It isn't Microsoft. It's a spammer sending out a virus-laden website. MS doesn't send out emails like that.

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

good point. The close I gotten is one reminding me to update. but it was from hotmail it self. there was a link to thier main site

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Even hotmail. SMTP headers and such can be spoofed. You can send an email that looks like it was sent from Microsoft or Hotmail (aka, MS) but it really ISN'T from them.

Essentially, you are the target of these emails. People that didn't know MS doesn't send out friendly reminders. At least now you won't be susceptible to them now-- but with ~95% marketshare, that's a lot of people that are vulnerable.......

13. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I pretty much they get trashed on my computer. By closes it was part of one of hotmails starden emails from them. It had what you need to do to keep you computer safe. a artical on Microsoft site. I do keep my windows box up today and I know what I doning. THe best advice to advord crap like that is dont have one of the big free accounts from hotmail or yahoo and dont have a comon email address. For example I use Timelessblur@*******.*** and since it not a taken email address and never has numbers in it misses most of the spam like that. The random name generator dont get it. The ISP email address is ont of the safest. since they genral have a much smaller user data base so spamer dont bother with them. Hit the @hotmail.com and @yahoo.com or @aol.com since those are among the largest data bases out thier so random names you have better luck with.

14. woodsey macrumors regular

You know that opening the email and downloading the images you could have notified the spammer that your address is 'alive'?

Your email addres could now be added to a list of thousands of 'responsive' email addresses and sold to spammers.

To stop this happening, switch off "Display embeded images and objects in HTML messages", in Mail's Viewing Preference Pane. If an email is legit, and you want to load the images, you just click the 'load images' button above the email message

15. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm fully aware of that tactic as well. Which is why I first copied and pasted the URL into my browser to make sure it didn't pass any information through the URL to a script on the website. I'm entirely immune to spammers. Nothing fools me.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A bit cocky, eh?

I guess I'm the same way sometimes, purposely going to sites that friends say makes their computer slow down (malware, anyone?) and then ask them why I don't have issues.

:rolleyes:

Mostly free game sites and stuff, hehe. Sucks for them.

17. TrashCanDan macrumors member

18. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Cocky in the sense I don't claim to be an idiot.

19. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting.