Ummm....Was it just me with the internet loss?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pianodude123, Apr 8, 2005.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Recently...I think last night, comcast internet service was having problems keeping the internet up. Thus causing havoc for many many students and other internet depending people. Tell me if you are using comcast and what you think it could have possibly been... As you can see, it is working now.

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Heard more problems/horror stories about Comcast service than any other ISP. I use SBC/Yahoo and, though the speed isn't as fast (2.5 down/392 up), I haven't experienced *any* downtime in years.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Yes, there were problems with Comcast's internet connection. My friend and parents were without internet in the Monroe, WA area. My friend told me that Comcast had cut some line in the Seattle, WA area that disrupted connection to a large region.

... just passing what I heard along... I can't affirm the validity of the reason for the downtime.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, sbc yahoo!s awesome, plus they wont give your info to the riaa/mpaa :p

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

first downtime due to comcast last night. had them for a year with no problems...
    i had RCN for a while, they were a NIGHTMARE of random dropped internet.

6. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I think it had to do with the recent upgrade to 4Mbit down and 384k up, I noticed I could get on IRC and MSN but not all websites would DNS.

I dunno I thought it was the speed upgrade.

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Had issues here in the Boston area. Only problem I've ever had with Comcast. I REALLY don't have a problem with them since they continue to give me more cable channels than I'm paying for...I told them about this, and they still haven't changed it...so, mum's the word!

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

We were down in the Philly ... I had an assignment due at midnight and I was getting worried.

9. Kosher Terror macrumors member

I live in Oakland, CA, and my comcast also dropped the other night.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

RoadRunner was fine.... 5Mbps/300Kbps

One outage a number of years ago. Some guy came over that day to fix it.

They tend to be pretty good about downtime, etc.

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

There were outages state-wide across Alabama and Mississippi.

(I called tech support to see if I was the only one w/ a problem.)

12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I was having problems last weekend. My internet kept cutting out every hour and it would stay out for like 10-15 minutes at a time. It was pissing me off so badly. It's not doing it anymore. I called optimum and they said it's because they were do some server upgrades near me.

13. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

yep, this is the kind of response I was hoping for...and all the others, but you are probably running on the same line i am, if you are near Boston. (or...if you aaa nea Boston)but no joke only Bostinians can make fun of themselves, just like you cant make fun of his mum!i live near bos, so thats why i said that!

14. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

When i called comcast the line was BUSY!!!!

Thats what really put me over! also, take a gander at this:

www.comcast.net/help and look at the network health icon. they should have had an announcement instead of having to personally talk to every customer!!

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've been a happy Comcast customer for a couple years now - but yeah, a couple nights back they had a nationwide problem. The official word from Comcast was that three core routers went down more or less simultaneously. However the symptoms (and workarounds people found) pointed more toward a DNS problem.

I'm not a huge network geek, but I can't see a few routers causing nationwide problems. A DNS screwup, however... :rolleyes:

Edit: Actually I want to amend my initial statement. I have been quite happy with Comcast's stability and reliability. The few times I've tried to use their tech support, though, it has been a nightmare. I think they've got 12-year-olds manning the phones. :D

16. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Thursday night, Comcast's DNS servers were totally hosed. It was a nationwide problem (the recording on their tech-support line said so).

Since I moved into my own place a year ago, I've had more problems with Comcast than I care to mention. I've had to have techs out here several times, for both Internet and television related problems. In addition to that, the lazy technician bastards that come out here never clean up outside when they're done. There are these big green 'tube' shaped things outside of each building, where the 8 or so condos that have cable all connect to the main feed. Every time they come out here to do work, they leave the things open with all the wires sticking out, and each time I call Comcast to report it and have someone come out and fix it. They leave the damned things open for water and other elements to get in there, which is just going to create more work for them when something gets in there and screws up the connections (not to mention interrupt connectivity for people).

When I lived with my parents, we had so many problems with their Internet service that we just switched to DSL. Never had any problems with it.

In short, I hate Comcast. :)

17. lordmac macrumors regular

Ya, I had the same problem Thursday night too. It was weird the internet would work in 3 or 4 sec. bursts and even then only major sites like google would work. As mention i have since read that there DNS servers crashed here is a cnet story about it. http://news.com.com/DNS+issue+hobbles+Comcast/2100-1038_3-5660518.html

This is the first time i have problems with my internet connection from comcast. Cable tv from them on the other hand i have had loads of trouble with them on. :rolleyes:

18. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Yep, problems with Comcast on Thursday in Tallahassee, FL as well. Seems to be fixed now, haven't had a problem since. Except for that neighbor who keeps trying to hack his way onto my wireless network...

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am looking to relocate in the DC area, and i am trying to find places that use Cox as opposed to Comcast. Enough said.

20. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

eh? I use Comcast Cable at home (Rockville), and I using it on and off during the day this weekend--on the iBook of course.

I used it both Friday and Saturday...so wuz the issue before then? Since getting cable back in 2003, Comcast has been pretty good for me.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Comcast service sucks based on my mother in-laws experience. Not to mention higher costs. Not too mention the costs from Comcast.

In Fairfax VA I get the basic channels, the first tier of digital channels, DVR, and HS Internet for just $79 including taxes and fees .Still high IMO, but less if I understand here services in Gaithersburg.

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well what I have heard is that b/c the bandwidth is shared (for cable), that basically the quality of it will depend on your neighborhood.

Got a high schooler d/ling pr0n next door? That's gonna suck away a ton of bandwidth there. Or the kids across the road who leave BT on 24/7? Those kind of little things can negatively affect it. My neighborhood consists of mostly "empty nests" now, so when I come back, there are hardly any other younger guys around.

And considering not a single grown-up I know d/ls pr0n or uses BT, most of that bandwidth is left untouched.

23. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Chip,

Don't complain about the costs of your services. In the Philly area (where there is not too much competition), your services would cost over $100 without including taxes. $80 would be great.

Well, I would have had a hard time getting to that announcement since my internet was down.

24. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Everyone in my area with comcst was down. But it was strange, AIM worked as did my FTP. It was like only the web-sites didn't work. It's beck to it's usualy 4mb self, so I'm happy.

25. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Last night

Comcast internet was down again last night (4/12). I would switch in a heartbeat if I had any other choice.