ummmmmm somethign relaly weird happened

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by passthejonch, Sep 14, 2003.

1. passthejonch macrumors member

so i used the OSX install cd. to reset my password

now there were three pws i could change
    i didnt know which one so i changed them all to the same one

now when i reboot.... i got like this windows xp type log in screen where you can choose which user to log in as

and now im randomly getting these boxes popping up asking me to enter my pw, and i do but i rejects it and if i press cancel, it lets me keep working

????????????????

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Sounds like you set an admin password and all. The XP looking log in screen is for multiple users, but you can turn that off so you log right in when you start up like normal. Chances are you just set them all and made OS X think you wanted to set up a multi-user environment.

3. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

is there any way i can reverse this?

there was

the root pw
    sdcc (or some weird acronym)
    and johncha (my user name)

i just set my password through system preferences... which pw would that be?
    would the other two just be blank? if i left the boxes empty would it just be no password? if so, then which should i keep?

oh yea and this box constantly pops up asking me to "unlock keychain" so i keep pressing cancel

and how do i get rid of that log in box?

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well first off, let me warn you I don't use OS X since I am stuck on an older Mac running 9.2, so I am going to sound pretty vague. I'd say the root password is the only one you'd want set if you just want to have it log right in automatically and not have all the passwords. I'd go to the system preferences and look in account to see if you can unset them, or if you have to, repeat what you did before by booting with the disc and just leaving those fields blank this time. I'm sorry if this doesn't help you much. If you need any more help, I can look it up tomorrow and get back to you on it. I have a couple of books I bought that I am slowly reading through since I am planning on getting a new PowerBook with Panther before too long when they are out. But play around with that, I don't see how it could hurt.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe this is the way to solve your problem:

Try Apple -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Users. How many users do you see in the list of users? You should be able to select any user whose Type is not "Admin" and click Delete User.... If you have more than one user of Type "Admin", all but one can be deleted if you select them, click Edit User..., and turn off the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox.

6. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

7. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

ok i reboot from the OS X CD again and i left hte password blank

but the start up screen still pops up........ and it still asks for password
    except the password is BLANK!

argh this is so frustrating!

8. Golem macrumors 6502

Go to system prefs and select accounts. Select the admin user and click set Auto login. You will need to type in your password. btw probably better to have a password even if its very simple instead of blank.

The other password request is from keychain and that allows things like Auto logging on to macrumors. It just wants to know who you are and what your pw is so it can continue Auto filling pw boxes for you. I am not sure exactly how to fix that other than typing in your correct new password. To look at your keychain it is in Application/utulities/Keychain access.

9. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

there is no "set auto login"...

10. claytonbench macrumors member

The reason for the system randomly asking you for a password and then rejecting it is your keychain password is different just go to you users=>user name=>library folder and delete the keychain folder reboot and you will have to enter your passwords again one more time but it will not reject them and you will be able have them saVED. hope this helps some

11. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot!!

12. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Also, If you haven't done so already, I would go back and disable your root login - unless you plan to use it. You don't want anyone figuring out your root password and mucking about in your files.

Alia

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I always thought that root had a password by default and is kept hidden just to prevent that kind of thing from happening.

14. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Well, he said he used the CD to make all three passwords on his machine, including root, the same password, so he should definitely make sure the root user is disabled or better yet, use the CD to change the root password to something else entirely.

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Sometimes I'm glad I'm still stuck using OS 9 :)

16. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

how do i get rid of the root password entirely?

when i get my ibook by default which passwords are enabled and which aren't?

and what password is it asking me for when i install programs and stuff?

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Okay root is disabled by default.

it is your main user account password you use for installing stuff.

Root is an all access unix account that means you can do anything to any file and you can seriously cause some damage. You should only need it if your are messing around with unix type stuff.

To disable root, load Applications -> Utilities -> Netinfo Manager and in the Security menu select disable root user.

There any more questions?

18. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

well the disable root user option is faded out

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think you have to authorize yourself first. I forget the exact menu wording. If you pick the menu choice and enter your administrator's password (whichever one it now is!), then it should wake up the Disable Root User choice.

20. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

got it thanks!

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Now that I'm at my Mac OS X computer, I confirmed the exact menu choice: Security -> Authenticate.