UN Debacles

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Voltron, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Received my first issue of NewsMax and it has some interesting information abut the UN.
    Sept 2001 Kofi Annan attended a world conference on racism which was attended by Arafat, Fidel Castro and others. Anan praised Thabo Mbeki leader of ANC for what a good job he's doing. Apparently ignoring the traditional method that ANC used to kill their civilians during the 80's called necklacing. Basically filling the belly with gas and burning a tower around their neck. These are the type of people Annan holds up as champions of human rights.

Rwanda where the UN convinced the Tutsis to turn in all their guns. Tutsis were wiped out by the Hutus after the UN promised them their protection. UN didn't say anything bad about it much less do anything about it. Also speaks about the travesties in the balkans, about how their sex trade is much more prevalent now that UN peacekeepers are in charge. The Scotsman, a Scotland national newspaper, reported that UN peacekeepers were their primary customers.

Cambodia, China slave labor, Palestinian Intifada, 1 million massacered in Rwanda, Mass murder in Zimbabwe etc. However let one bomb go off a little too big in Iraq by the US, or in Palestine by the Israelites and the UN are all over that.

Reminder they elected Libya to chair the UN Human Rights commission. Get real. Now they are trying to stop anyone from investigating their oil for food scandal outside of the UN control, so they can cover it up.

I tried to take about 100,000 words and condense everything to simple paragraphs and I'm sure I did a bad job of it. Additional news items by the same writer that wrote this that I read has another story on the internet http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/5/12/170115.shtml

My point --- the UN is not fit to rule the world and they most deffinitely don't hold the moral high ground.

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The UN doesn't *want* to rule the world. It *can't*, by its own definition and constitution, rule the world. It's there to provide a forum for discussion between nations in the hope of precluding war, that's it. The line about world-rule was made up by god-knows-who and has been conservative dogma ever since. It's a load of crap. And I will point that out every time I see it.

And the United States lost its moral high ground when we opened Guantanamo and launched a invasion of another nation. Kinda sucks, don't it?

3. Voltron thread starter macrumors newbie

Voltron

You cannot insure other countries will stick to treaties if they think we are full of hot air. Saddam violated one of those treaties and flaunted it for over 12 years. Couldn't keep going on forever.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

That's a interesting argument. The US flaunts many international agreements. Some, it actively subverts, others it simply ignores (even some we have signed onto). If the US was so concerned about countries violating treaties, why not start with Israel, the core of the whole mess in the Middle East? Solving, or at least earnestly working on that problem would have secured much more security and respect for the US and the UN than invading Iraq without provocation.

5. Voltron thread starter macrumors newbie

Voltron

I am on Team America, not Team Iraq.
    Israel is our ally not Iraq.
    We are concerned with violations of treaties with us not with someone else.
    This isn't a game where everyone has to have a fair chance of winning.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If they are our ally, why are they such a millstone around our neck?

Only boys speak of games, not men.

7. Voltron thread starter macrumors newbie

Voltron

Because there are those in the Middle East who will refuse peace as long as a single Jew is alive in the Middle East. Yes they need us more than we need them.