UN food for oil corruption investigation continues

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Voltron, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

How can their investigation arm investigate this when they themselves are the ones being investigated?
    Then why is it he posted a letter which he sent out stating all evidence had to go to his office and they were not to discuss this outside of the UN? This was reported on FOX. My guess is they are trying to cover it up.

2. Voltron thread starter macrumors newbie

Voltron

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=532278

And this is the organization you want running the world?
    Lets not forget they also put Iraq with Saddam in charge of the disarmament committee, Syria and Egypt in charge of the Human rights committee. Their crap just keeps piling up.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds no worse than most national governments.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't see you flipping your lid that the US Army is investigating themselves....

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I found this opinion piece interesting on how badly the U.N. needs reform.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/InternationalOrganizations/em842.cfm

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ask any cop if he thinks Internal Affairs would cover up street-cops' wrongs...

I don't know about the UN, but the folks in the Army's CID lack any sort of sense of humor, or tolerance of wrong-doing. Whatever the level of rank, CID guys go for the facts as hard as a politician goes after campaign funds.

'Rat

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Heh, brings to mind some lines from a movie...

Jessep: You want answers?
    Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
    Jessep: You want answers?
    Kaffee: I want the truth!
    Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

:D

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Major scandals have dogged the US, UK, French and German governments amongst others in the last two decades. China and Russia are hardly transparent. If the member governments repeatedly dodge accountability, do you really think the UN is going to do anything different? Rather than rant and rave about the UN, maybe it would be best to ask for more of the same at home.

By the way, isn't there a big brouhaha about the UN OIl for food program and Bremer deciding to sideline any serious investigation?

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Yes it should behave differently. If you donated 22% of the budget to a specific charity, wouldn't you demand to know how well it was being spent? The U.N. cannot be compared to a member nation. Countries by default are responsible for the protection and the betterment of its citizens. You cannot protect your citizens if you reveal all your plans and secrets. The U.N. should be an organization of openness. Information on how money in the Food for Oil program was being spent should not be restricted.

I think that there should be a call that the U.N. have transparent finances to all member countries that contribute funds. It should submit to annual audits by member nations to make sure that the funds are being spent properly. We demand no less from our own charitable organizations.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd be shocked if the heritage foundation _wasn't_ bashing the UN

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

No I am not surprised either, but the article does bring up some valid points.

Also you will find very few articles negative of the U.N. in the mainstream press... But maybe that comment should be in the liberal media bias thread. ;) :D

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does anyone plan on waiting until the investigation is completed before deciding what happened and what needs to be done to correct it?

Just wondering.