Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Hi all,

I have a never-before JB 3GS that is currently on 3.1.3. The end result I am striving for is a JB/UL 3GS with 4.0.1 so I can sell it and buy a iP4.

Do I have to upgrade to 4.0.1 first? If so, how? Or should I JB via jailbreakme 2.0 and try to get up to 4.0.1? iTunes is prompting me to install 4.1, which I obviously don't want to do since there is no JB and UL for it yet.

I have both a Mac and a Windows PC. I appreciate your help!

- Phill

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
On 3GS and IP4, you can only update / restore to firmware Apple currently allows, now only 4.1, because they use SHSH security check. You can trick iTunes if you have previously saved those old SHSH files at the time Apple was still sending them out. Right now, Apple is only sending out 4.1 SHSH files. I am guessing you never saved them. If that's correct, straight up installing of 4.0.1 is out of the question for you.

There's still hope. Does 3GS have old or new bootrom?

If new bootrom, just use Spirit to JB phone on 3.1.3, use Ultrsnow (through Cydia) to unlock phone and sale it as 3.1.3 JB & unlock phone.

If old, JB 3.1.3 with Spirit and install Spirit2pwn (Cydia) = allows you to install custom already JB firmware. Now, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0.1 firmware and restore through iTunes. Once restore process is complete, the phone will be already JB. Install Ultrasnow to unlock. Now, you have 4.0.1 JB & unlock phone.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
On 3GS and IP4, you can only update / restore to firmware Apple currently allows, now only 4.1, because they use SHSH security check. You can trick iTunes if you have previously saved those old SHSH files at the time Apple was still sending them out. Right now, Apple is only sending out 4.1 SHSH files. I am guessing you never saved them. If that's correct, straight up installing of 4.0.1 is out of the question for you.

If new bootrom, just use Spirit to JB phone on 3.1.3, use Ultrsnow (through Cydia) to unlock phone and sale it as 3.1.3 JB & unlock phone.

If old, JB 3.1.3 with Spirit and install Spirit2pwn (Cydia) = allows you to install custom already JB firmware. Now, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0.1 firmware and restore through iTunes. Once restore process is complete, the phone will be already JB. Install Ultrasnow to unlock. Now, you have 4.0.1 JB & unlock phone.

I thought with 3gs old bootrom, you can JB on 4.1 it with redsn0w. While 3gs new bootrom then you will have tether JB with redsn0w.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
I thought with 3gs old bootrom, you can JB on 4.1 it with redsn0w. While 3gs new bootrom then you will have tether JB with redsn0w.

Nope. There are no JB if you are on official 4.1 firmware for 3GS. You can only get to 4.1 by restoring with a custom firmware which requires the phone be pwned JB.

And, the Redsnow 4.1 JB is only for 3G / iPod touch 2G.

edgar.amarotova

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Texas
Nope. There are no JB if you are on official 4.1 firmware for 3GS. You can only get to 4.1 by restoring with a custom firmware which requires the phone be pwned JB.

And, the Redsnow 4.1 JB is only for 3G / iPod touch 2G.

Or..... You can upgrade to 4.0.1 on iTunes by downloaing the 4.0.1Firmware from some random page found in google... Then you shift click restore and select the firmware wanted! Once updated you activate the phone and them go to jailbreakme.com which only jailbreake up to 4.0.2 I think

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Or..... You can upgrade to 4.0.1 on iTunes by downloaing the 4.0.1Firmware from some random page found in google... Then you shift click restore and select the firmware wanted! Once updated you activate the phone and them go to jailbreakme.com which only jailbreake up to 4.0.2 I think

To be honest, this seems to be the easiest way. Is this confirmed to work? I don't want to screw up my chances at getting this JB (and eventually UL).

I have the old bootrom by the way (at least I think I do, as I bought this phone in August 2009). I might be wrong though - sorry, noob here.

Please confirm if the above will work, or if I should go Myzhi's route:

Thanks!

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
To be honest, this seems to be the easiest way. Is this confirmed to work? I don't want to screw up my chances at getting this JB (and eventually UL).

I have the old bootrom by the way (at least I think I do, as I bought this phone in August 2009). I might be wrong though - sorry, noob here.

Please confirm if the above will work, or if I should go Myzhi's route:

Thanks!

No. That does not work. As I already stated in my first reply, Apple uses a security check, SHSH files, which they only allow you to install / restore latest firmware, currently 4.1. If you don't believe me, try it. You will get an error that says "This device is not eligible..."

And, Jailbreakme.com only works to 4.0.1. 4.0.2 sole purpose was to close exploit use JB in 3.1.3 - 4.0.1. It does not offer any new features and reason way here's no point in making JB for it.

People need to stop posting when they don't know.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
No. That does not work. As I already stated in my first reply, Apple uses a security check, SHSH files, which only allow you to install / restore you latest firmware. If you don't believe me, try it. You will get an error that says "This device is not eligible..."

Haha. I believe you! I was just looking for an easy way out.

I'll try it your way. Thanks a bunch.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
No. That does not work. As I already stated in my first reply, Apple uses a security check, SHSH files, which they only allow you to install / restore latest firmware, currently 4.1. If you don't believe me, try it. You will get an error that says "This device is not eligible..."

And, Jailbreakme.com only works to 4.0.1. 4.0.2 sole purpose was to close exploit use JB in 3.1.3 - 4.0.1. It does not offer any new features and reason way here's no point in making JB for it.

People need to stop posting when they don't know.

Thanks! Is this an accurate step by step depiction of what you said?

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...eady-jailbroken-using-spirit-with-spirit2pwn/

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland

Wow. That's some bad advice there Edgar. You need to check your facts before posting stuff like that... Seriously.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009

I wanted to thank you. I confirmed that I had the old bootrom and I followed your instructions perfectly. My 3GS is now JB on iOS4. I'll do the UL tonight. Thanks again!

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
If you're on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 you can use jailbreakme.com!! Google it and prove me wrong! I've done it 4 times already!

Suffice to say you CANNOT jailbreak 4.0.2 with jailbreakme.com. 4.0.2 was released by Apple for 1 purpose only. To STOP jailbreakme.com from working. This was pointed out by others on this very thread.

You need to remeber that the OP was on old bootrom 3GS 3.1.3 unjailbroken. He followed the excellent advice given within this thread by others and now has what he wanted. An unlocked 3GS on IOS4 firmware (assuming the unlock worked).

He could not have simply shift-restored to 4.0.1 (and certainly not 4.0.2) and then visited jailbreakme.com as you suggested. Read the detail of this entire thread to understand why...

edgar.amarotova

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Texas
Suffice to say you CANNOT jailbreak 4.0.2 with jailbreakme.com. 4.0.2 was released by Apple for 1 purpose only. To STOP jailbreakme.com from working. This was pointed out by others on this very thread.

You need to remeber that the OP was on old bootrom 3GS 3.1.3 unjailbroken. He followed the excellent advice given within this thread by others and now has what he wanted. An unlocked 3GS on IOS4 firmware (assuming the unlock worked).

He could not have simply shift-restored to 4.0.1 (and certainly not 4.0.2) and then visited jailbreakme.com as you suggested. Read the detail of this entire thread to understand why...

if you inform yourself better, you can indeed restore to 4.0.1 then activate the phone with a valid sim card and after that jailbreak it! thank you very much! my mistake was saying 4.0.2

edgar.amarotova

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Texas
OK. How can he restore to stock 4.0.1 without SHSH blobs? It is not possible.

he said he was running 3.1.3 firmware, then he said he wanted to jailbreak his iphone on 4.0.1 didnt he??

then why the need of the shsh blobs??? you only need to upgrade to the 4.0.1 and activate the phone with a valid sim card THENNNNNNNNNN jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com!

if hes on 4.1 he cant do anything!!!

az988

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
he said he was running 3.1.3 firmware, then he said he wanted to jailbreak his iphone on 4.0.1 didnt he??

then why the need of the shsh blobs??? you only need to upgrade to the 4.0.1 and activate the phone with a valid sim card THENNNNNNNNNN jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com!

but like f4780y was asking, how did iTunes allow an installation of 4.0.1 firmware without having an SHSH blob? 4.1 is the only newer firmware that can be installed without previous storage of SHSH blobs

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009

Apple uses a SHSH security checks and only allow you to install the firmware they want you to, currently only 4.1. Thus, OP can't just install 4.0.1 with saved SHSH files. Only reason why he was able to installed 4.0.1 was he first pwned (allow install custom firmware) the phone. Afterward, he installed a custom JB 4.0.1 firmware. Please research more and stop spreading misinformation.

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland

Yes, you are right. He asked those questions.
What you do not understand is that you CANNOT upgrade to stock 4.0.1 without valid SHSH blobs for 4.0.1.
Apple stopped signing blobs for 4.0.1 at the beginning of August.
Without saved blobs you simply cannot upgrade a 3GS to stock 4.0.1 firmware. There is no known way around this. The OP did the best thing he could. Used Spirit and spirit2pwn on the phone then got hold of a custom firmware which could then be installed without blobs.

You already stated your 3.1.3 phone was bought already jailbroken with Spirit. Maybe you have all your SHSH's saved on Cydia because of this, but the OP did not.

I know at this stage you do not believe me, but do some searches on this forum for SHSH blobs and downgrade to 4.0.1. You will soon learn why they are so important. Have a look at the last two posts above. Just perhaps you could consider that you are wrong in this Edgar?

edgar.amarotova

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Texas
Yes, you are right. He asked those questions.
What you do not understand is that you CANNOT upgrade to stock 4.0.1 without valid SHSH blobs for 4.0.1.
Apple stopped signing blobs for 4.0.1 at the beginning of August.
Without saved blobs you simply cannot upgrade a 3GS to stock 4.0.1 firmware. There is no known way around this. The OP did the best thing he could. Used Spirit and spirit2pwn on the phone then got hold of a custom firmware which could then be installed without blobs.

You already stated your 3.1.3 phone was bought already jailbroken with Spirit, but the OP did not.

I know at this stage you do not believe me, but do some searches on this forum for SHSH blobs and downgrade to 4.0.1. You will soon learn why they are so important. Have a look at the last two posts above. Just perhaps you could consider that you are wrong in this Edgar?

thats why you download the firmware from another place BUT itunes and install itunes 9.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.