Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
Hey!
I am trying to free up space on my macbook. What apps do you think I should delete which are the most unuseful?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Which apps are least useful? I've no idea – only you can answer that. ;)

For starters, which apps don't you use? Apps like Garageband and iMovie can have several gigabytes worth of files and samples and stuff so they might be a good place to start. Of course, if you decide you fancy a dabble with them in the future you can always reinstall them off the install disks that came with your Mac.

It might also be worthwhile looking at an app like Delocalizer – it'll remove any language localisations you don't need on your Mac. It's surprising how much space the various localisations take up, especially on a laptop where hard drive space is at a bit of a premium.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
Jaffa Cake said:
Which apps are least useful? I've no idea – only you can answer that. ;)

For starters, which apps don't you use? Apps like Garageband and iMovie can have several gigabytes worth of files and samples and stuff so they might be a good place to start. Of course, if you decide you fancy a dabble with them in the future you can always reinstall them off the install disks that came with your Mac.

It might also be worthwhile looking at an app like Delocalizer – it'll remove any language localisations you don't need on your Mac. It's surprising how much space the various localisations take up, especially on a laptop where hard drive space is at a bit of a premium.

If i did decide to remove Garageband, and delete some un-needed languages, would I always be able to re-install them? How easy would it be?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
ddk121 said:
If i did decide to remove Garageband, and delete some un-needed languages, would I always be able to re-install them? How easy would it be?
You can reinstall it off the disks that came with your MacBook without any problems at all.

Don't forget either that it's really the loops and themes in Garageband and iDVD that take up the space – so make sure that you don't forget to delete those either. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.