UN: U.S., others 'stingy' on relief aid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

I bet the President is praying for them though.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

$15 million!?!?! what a friggin' insult.

this is like 10 x 9/11, and look what we've spent in the name of that day.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

speaking of which, can anyone find any data on how much foreign aid came into the US in the aftermath of 9/11?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Didn't we refuse a bunch of the aid offered to us though?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Reminds me of this quote:

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

.2% of GNP works out to around 20 billion dollars, right? What's that percentage of the federal budget?

A question: would we get more and better response from the world at large spending at least as much money on building/rebuilding infrastructure and providing foreign aid as we spent on weapons to "defend" ourselves from the world at large?

This is an obviously loaded question, but one that needs to be asked. I think we have our priorities backwards. We (by we I mean "the administration") sit and wonder how many nasty ways other people can hurt us rather than asking how we can help others.

Perhaps if we gave more in charity than we subsidized in weapons programs, the world would be a better place. :(

: patiently waits for liberal "head in the clouds" responses :

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I really hope that such a humanitarian disaster as this one gives all the war mongerer's a good kick in the teeth. We may never be able to get away from the fear in our societies but if we direct it away from each other and learn just to fear the power of nature then I think a lot of things will change.

Is this event a catalyst for social change? Probably not but its way too soon to tell. Or maybe its a sign that we are getting closer to 2012 :eek: (another thread entirely).

8. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Yeah, I seem to remember that we turned down aid from certain countries. Cuba and Iran come to mind.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's kinda like when Bill Gates gives a couple of million to some charity - you want to appreciate the effort, but then you know where the rest of the money goes (and especially where it came from). Somehow it doesn't seem to be enough. It's good they gave something, but somehow it seems more like a slap in the face. We've spent billions rebuilding places we've invaded, and we spent $60 million to spread Democracy in the Ukraine (though, to be fair, at least that seems to be working out in our favor now). Your tax dollars at work people. Hopefully the people of the world can make up for the Governments' stingy-ness.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Cost for inaugural:
    $15 million for disaster victims, $30-$40 million for the inaugural PLUS security costs. Interesting juxtaposition.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

to be fair, the US did up its aid to $35 million today. total worldwide aid pledged: $105 million. damage estimates are in the billions of dollars.

(data from World News Tonight, which i just finished watching)

imo, the US should have set the pace by pledging $100 million off the bat.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We can't believe that article Stu. It's well known that Yahoo is a biased source.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

amazing! in the wake of the biggest humanitarian relief effort known to man, stu manages to fault the UN.

absent the UN, how much worse off would those south asian nations be right now, i wonder.

the US can do no wrong, and the UN can do no right. black and white indeed, stu. i'm starting to wonder why you're not on my ignore list. you were much nicer before xmas.

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If you want to call yahoo the source that's fine, the rest of the world will call the source Reuters.

Ahh literacy! :)

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Boy did you get the "jump to conclusions" game they talked about in the movie office space?
    I faulted the UN? How because I posted the story where they backed off the comment X posted? Comeon now, be fair.
    Also the UN was not going after any one country, but many, the guy who made those remarks is on Larry King right now-I'm watching. Turn it on.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

link

There have been cuts this year due to Afganistan and Iraq costs, but Congress did budget $1.2 billion on FOOD aid for 2005. It is less than what the world needs, but many of the other stingy countries can maybe help more.

Because it is better to teach someone to fish than buy them one..
    I am confident that as the picture developes the US will continue to UP the donations. Of course there is a link in my signature to make a contribution now!

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

WOW

conservative bias link

18. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Stu -- This is emergency aid we're talking about. I don't understand how your quote about "teaching a man to fish" pertains to this situation -- I hope you were just going off topic there? How are we "handing a fish" to anyone by offering emergency aid for one of the worst natural disasters in modern history?

And what do you mean, you believe the US will increase aid money "as the picture develops?" To me, 55,000 dead is a quite developed picture. The numbers will go higher, no doubt -- but I don't see how you feel the paltry monies currently put forth by the US atone for the kind of tragedy that's going on right now.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

No, I understand the urgent need for $$$$$ now. I was addressing the historical giving of the US. While the article mentioned the US by name, the UN official did not. He was refering to the majority of nations that give between .1 and .2 % of GDP, and the US is one of those.

But you are correct, they need $$$$$ now, and even more they need expertise from countries all over the world.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

about those US aid numbers...
    link

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He would fault his mother if she disagreed with him.

Maybe Santa turned into the Grinch?

He's been on mine for weeks now.

Why is it that the majority of those who make gross errors in spelling and grammar on this forum are almost always right wingers?

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Don't there have to be fish to catch in order to make a fishing line worthwhile? I haven't heard yet, but I'll bet there's darned few fish left in those areas.

I think stu's way of thinking is in line with gw's compassionate conservatism. Compassion is only shown conservatively if at all.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the ends justify the means?

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just have to say 1 thing people, the U.S is the biggest donator,giver,supporter in the world and if you look at our history we have written off the debts of many countries through the years. Now with that said it is sad that we spend billions on defense and then a small percentage on building a better world abroad and at home.