Un-vegetarianizing myself

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by question fear, Oct 15, 2006.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I have been a vegetarian for ~6 years. I've started craving meat the last few months pretty hardcore, and in the last few weeks bacon.
    Last night, in an attempt to make veggie bacon, I set my toaster on fire. Today in a restaurant, I had a veggie burger that tasted terrible.
    I've decided the cravings, the fire, and the nasty burger are all signs. ;-). In all seriousness, I do think it is time to start eating meat again. I have never been a veggie for political/ethical reasons, only because I just didn't feel like eating meat. I never liked chicken much, and I am allergic to seafood, so I was mostly eating beef and pork then. Interestingly, lately I've been craving chicken. And the 1/2 dozen times over the last 6 years that I've "cheated" and snuck a bit of meat (on the road, etc) it's been chicken.
    Anyhow, I did some reading and it seems like my best bet is to eat a bit of chicken stock and work my way up from there..anyone have any tips or experience to offer?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I was veggie for 8 years (including 10 months as a vegan). When I switched back to meat I had 3 McDonalds Double Cheese Burgers!:D

I had not trouble switching back and I went full-on carnivore for a month or so!!!!

3. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

ewww I'm a carnivor, but if I was going to start meat again I would not start with McDonald's.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

^^^^ agreed.

Go to your nearest In-N-Out Burger and get one of these.
    [​IMG]

I could never be a vegetarian.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I neglected to mention alcohol was also involved!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Great... now I have a craving for roasted potato wedgies dipped in delicious gravy and a side order of crispy bacon. :)

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's got to be bacon toasties with lashings of HP Sauce, mmm :D

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I went through the same cravings myself when I was vegetarian for two years. Major cravings for meat especially red meat, to the point where I would start drooling whenever I saw a meat product on TV, Ads etc.

If chicken does not taste good try turkey or duck breast (hmmm) or some lamb

One thing I noticed was that I can't stand the flavour of store bought meat ie not local, free range organic meat.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you say you're only a vegetarian because you don't feel like eating meat, what's stopping you from going to IHOP and getting a mound of bacon?

10. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Glad to know I'm not the only veggie to go through this! I have to admit though, the stack o hamburgers didn't look so appealing.

Because my body hasn't really been exposed to meat proteins regularly (as in more than once a year when something was cooked in meat stock and no one told me) in over 6 years...so in an attempt to not spend the rest of the day "indisposed" after munching a mound of bacon, I've read I should ease into it. Although it seems some people's bodies bounce back faster than others.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Call yourself a potential ex-veggie!!!?!!?;)

12. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

****, I'm being voted out of the carnivore club before I could even re-join!

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Is Grubs still open on The Level?

Their triple blue cheese burgers were awesome!!!!!

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Take it slow. Suddenly eating meat can make your tummy get all bubbly and no good.

Once, I accidentally ate a piece of chicken (it looked like cheese in the middle of my pepper!). I was OK with it because it was an accident, so it wasn't a mental upset making me feel sick, but I did feel physically ill afterwards.

maybe start out with a small ham or balogna sammich?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! I have to agree with her. That just looks evil...

I was vegie for about 9 years for the same - no ethical reason, just didnt feel like eating meat. I still dont eat a huge amount of meat, maybe once - twice a week. I enjoy fresh fish and seafood though - but at least half my meals a week are still vegie, simply becuase I enjoy them.

The one thing being Vegie did, was made me enjoy my meals and flavours more and give you an appreciation of those different tastes.

I hate McDonalds though, first bite ok, every subsequent bite tastes worse and worse - until at the end of your meal you feel sick & not full. If I eat out, i prefer a proper restuarant anyday of the week....

16. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've had three friends go veggie to not veggie around me. (I could never live without meat, so I helped them back to the righteous path). One of them started off with fried chicken and was fine because she only ate small amounts. The other friend must have the digestive system of a horse because he ate 2 double quarter pounders with cheese for lunch for a week straight. I can't even handle one without feeling like I just ate a bowling ball. He was fine. The third person went from being vegan into eating meat again (chicken, I think) and had some truely terrible cramps and bathroom experiances, to put it nicely. Start slow with broth and the like, then maybe some less fatty meats like chicken and turkey, then go all out with a delicious lamb gyro (my favorite kind of meat) or burger or steak. Just do it slow 'cause you have no idea how your body may react.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

I almost forgot to post this!

[​IMG]
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy!!!

18. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The human stomach was designed to digest meat, (we are, afterall, omnivores) so I think even if you go without meat for several years, it won't adversely affect your comfort level if you eat a bit of meat. Just of course, don't overdo it... moderation in everything you do is highly advisable.

It's not like you're a cow and force-fed grain. :)

19. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

That photo was deliciously evil bartelby. :mad: Dump the fries & eat the rest, of course. :D

20. bartelby macrumors Core

I scoffed the fries first, once they'd soaked up all the juices!!
    Then savoured the steak!!

21. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

I forgot about the fries soaking up the steak juices. :)

22. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

First, start off with this...
    [​IMG]

Then go hardcore... :D
    [​IMG]

Looks too juicy... I cannot resist any longer!

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd suggest going light to start with. A couple of slices of bacon probably wouldn't be too taxing on your system (if that's what you're craving) - a quarter pound of beef in burger/steak format, might be too much.

Just a thought if these are cravings you are getting; could it be that you're missing a few nutrients in your diet recently so your body is craving them - ie protein/fat? Have you changed your veggie diet recently?

24. bartelby macrumors Core

No, no!!
    Don't listen to her. Your body is craving meat!!!;) :D

25. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Lets ditch the meat photos please. I admit to getting too carried away. :cool:

I haven't chomped more than 4 ounces of red meat in the last 3 months :rolleyes: So please quit beating me up!