Unable to access MacRumors

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Mar 29, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Shadowfax has asked me to post this thread, he, along with megaquad and vionw cannot get onto MR, they wanted me to ask if anyone else is experiencing this problem?

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I'm running this from IE :mad: and my camino isn't working for it. it works for every other site i go to, including new google searches. i just noticed it works in safari too for me. but camino just spits back pages as done without doing anything. did you guys block the browser in some way?

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yes running on camino it won't work, it will work on safari but the front page is all messed up. i don't know what the problem is.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah; specifically, none of the news items will load, but everything else seems to.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

IE is the only one that will load it right for me right now. You know the scary thing I just realized, that whenever I have any problems loading a page with another browser, I go to IE and it always works right...will we ever completely get rid of IE? To tell you the truth I hope it sticks around, just cause it is a nice back-up when nothing else works right.

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yeah i know what you mean, i used to use it as a back-up but i havn't opened it in so long cause i hadn't needed to. i don't know if i'll ever delete it off my system...it doesn't really hurt just sitting there

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

do you normally use safari? I never do, which may be why it's workign for me now. i mean, the prefs on camino may have got messed up last night, but i am too scared to delete all my prefs, and i don't know how to ONLY remove mac rumors cookies or anything like that. what a dilemma! at least i am using safari now instead of :eek: IE...

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looks like Mozilla and Netscape don't like what has been happening either.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

my homepage is screwed up, It only shows the links to older storie. I use safari v67 pretty much only.

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dito :( WTF is going on? :confused:

12. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

State of the Browsers assessment

Camino: For both macrumors.com and forums.macrumors.com, the status bar flickers a bunch, and a message appears saying "The document contains no data."

Mozilla 1.3: For both macrumors.com and forums.macrumors.com, the browser makes a quick attempt and then stops having done nothing.

Phoenix 0.5 ;) : For both macrumors.com and forums.macrumors.com, the status bar flickers a bunch, and a message appears saying "The document contains no data."

Safari: For macrumors.com, the page loads with no main stories (just top and sidebars). forums.macrumors.com seems to work fine (using it now).

IE 5.2: For macrumors.com, the page loads with no main stories (just top and sidebars). forums.macrumors.com appears to be working fine.

OmniWeb 4.2b1: For macrumors.com, the page loads with no main stories (just top and sidebars). forums.macrumors.com appears to be working fine.

So... it seems to be something that Mozilla-based browsers can't cope with at all, while other browser get at least part way there. This seems to have come on all of a sudden, sometime between, maybe, 12:30 and 1:30 ET.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

could this be some kind of a virus, do you think? where is arn?

14. vniow macrumors G4

Yo, posting here from Safari, can's seem to access the main page, I got a direct link to this thread from Shadowfax, what's going on here?

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, the short story is MR is not rendering at all in some of the Major OS X browsers, and not rendering correctly in others....and no one knows why this has just started happening :confused:

16. vniow macrumors G4

I can't access it from IE on my PC or (which I use practically never) Phoenix v0.5 (also on PC) and Camino doesn't seem to work either, this is very strange.

Safari v67 works perfectly however, you think it may be a virus that only allows Apple supplied browsers to access certain sites?[​IMG]

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, this is getting very weird. In IE6 on XP it comes up saying it can't even find the server forums.macrumors.com, yet in Phoenix (on the same machine) it can find the server, but it comes up with the no data error, the same as Camino does on my Mac.

Me = very :confused: :confused: :confused:

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

probably those people that got hacked and they put our folding number. i would do the same

iJon

19. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where is arn? He's not signed on to iChat either :( This is a serious problem.

20. vniow macrumors G4

Okay, I'm going to open the Macrumors chatroom again if anyone wants to join (cmd-G in iChat) since some of our users can't seem to access the forums.

21. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Cool beens! I'll meet u there ;)

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

camino doesn't seem to work properly with a whole slew of websites. to tell you the truth i don't think camino even works on my alubook anymore...

23. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Camino 0.7 (official release) works acceptably (or better) on nearly every site I use on a regular basis. Then again, my web browsing habits have become fairly routinized lately. Stay away from them nightlies, I guess! :eek:

24. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

there does apear to be something wrong with the site.

i never go to the main page, so i didn't notice that all the news articles weren't showing up, and page 2 comes up blank. the buying section is fine and i have no problem using forums. i'm using safari.

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

apple propaganda :eek: ;)

my latest camino nightly is running MR great again. it's still mor convenient than safari, which you can't seem to configure to open new links (from other progs) in new tabs instead of new windows. anyone know how to do that, as an aside?