Unable to Burn DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mwjd299, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mwjd299 macrumors regular

When I try to burn a dvd from iDvd I get an error message that says "The recording device reported the media error: Power calibration area error. (0x73, 0x03.)".
    I was able to burn a disk image and tried using disk utility to burn a DVD, then I get a message that says "could not calibrate laser power level for this media. I know a lot of people have had this same problem. How did you resolve it? Is my superdrive at fault? Or is just bad disks. I bought Verbatim DVD-R disks. :confused:

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would take the DVD-R back and get another if you can't do anything with it. Is the DVD-R registering with your mac?

Bless

3. mwjd299 thread starter macrumors regular

I plan on trying a different brand. Maybe Sony since The superdrive is a Sony. What do you mean is the DVD-R registering with the Mac? I put the disc in the drive and it knows I have inserted a blank DVD disk and asks me what to do. Is that what you mean?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Cool...well check out the sony and let us know how if it works.

Bless

5. mwjd299 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought the Sony brand DVD-R and they worked. I burned 2 DVD's. The first I used the disk image I made and then went through the whole iDVD process and that worked also. It played on my home DVD player. :)