unable to connect mac to pc or pc to mac!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hob, Jan 21, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hi! I'm now running 10.3 on my iBook at XP on my PC... Everytime I go to connect to either they ask me for my password, and ALWAYS say it's incorrect... I have ruled out typing it in wrong, that's for sure!!

Any ideas guys?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Unless your Mac has the same login/pass as your PC, windows won't accept any password. It's a Windows limitation.

As for connecting to the PC, try using the PC's IP address. Sometimes that'll work when the name isn't enough.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: unable to connect mac to pc or pc to mac!!

how exactly are you doing it?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I assume you setup a share on your Windows box and granted proper permissions.

Your mac is asking you for your Windows password here.

When most people setup XP, they never assign a password when they setup user accounts. Instead, just opting for a bunch of names for logins like Jim, Sue, Kid1, Kid2 etc... I had problems with this type of setup and found by setting up passwords the two systems played nicer together (it has other benefits as well as better login security and remote desktop functionality)

SO...I would associate a password with your login account on your Windows PC and once you establish that, try connecting again from your Mac to that PC using that WINDOWS login name and new password you just setup.

As far as connecting the other direction (PC to Mac), I didn't bother so I have nothing to offer.

Good Luck

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

yeah, i did have several accounts set up on the winbox, but none of them worked even though i knew it was the right password for that account!!

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i m not sure how are you trying to connect but i know two ways..
    1. open finder. goto network. hopefully you should see your windows machine there.( i say hope because sometimes it just doesnt show them ...).click on that icon and it asks for a user name and password . enter it and u should get in.
    2.from the finder menu, click go-connect server ..then in the window write
    smb://ip_of_windows machine/shared folder name on windowz machine

Its important that you give the shared folder name in the 2nd case.

Even after doing these steps , you may not be able to connect. Check if both machines are in the same workgroup.you can do that by writing findsmb on your terminal
    By default macs are in WORKGROUP. check the workgroup of the windows machine. If its different , change the workgroup on mac . you can do that by..
    finder-applications-utilities-directoryaccess
    then select smb from the list and click configure. you can then change the workgroup.

If both machines r using same router,then the subnet mask should be the same..which is another thing imp to connect..

anyways after this try either of the previous mentioned 2 methods..
    hopefully u should be able to connect...

7. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

When trying to connect to a Windows box that "someone" has forgot to share a folder, or didn't give me the right PW, I get the big ol' kernel panic. So now, I just don't try. So, no networking for me... I'll give it a try with every point release/update.

Rant: Apple has to smooth this out - I want to be able to use OSX at work... I'm sick of our network (OS 8.6 talking to 20 year old sun servers talking to XP) it is slow and we have to delete files everyday because the HD is only about 5 gigs... crap, my iPod is bigger than that! OK. I'm done.

8. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hi guys i have a small problme myself based around networks my network keeps droping out on me any clues. its there one second then a few mins later i come back to use it and its down .

Both xp and panther play nice but just on this issue some times really stufs me up.

9. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

My PC and Mac were talking fine on OS 10.2. I used the login details of HOBPC/ROB/R (domain (local computer name)/username/1-letter-password :p)

Ok, that all worked fine. Now I go to do the same thing in OS 10.3, and it's not happening! The computers are discovering each other, but they're not accepting each others passwords - on either end...

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Hob

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I always have to connect to a PC via connect-to-server and type in it's IP. I never see them in the finder under the network icon.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

click on the link from my previous post.

12. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Hi,

why isn´t it as easy as in windoze, to make a network ? just sharing folders and finding each other in the finder/explorer ???

It would be much easier !

Between two Macs I use my Firewirecable with booting in Firewiremode.
    Between my Mac and a PC I use a RW-CDR, beacause I don´t have to hope: "please let it work this time, please!!!"

Dave out.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

cause apple wants to discourage windows use, not encourage.

14. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

it is easier

I have XP, Win2000, and 10.3.
    All you have to do in OS X is enable personal file sharing, and everything under your home directory is automatically shared and should show up fine.

15. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Things to check
    1. Is the Network DDE service running on the Windows XP box
    2. Be sure to use the same case for the username, I found if I used USERname, not username, it failed to connect.
    Since OS X puts your OS X username in as the default, you need to change it to match the windows one, not just name, but case.
    To double check, I think if you do CTRL-ALT-DEL on the XP system ( I have XP Pro, not sure if Home works the same way) You should see "Logged in as WORKGROUP/username"

3. When you upgrade, OS X seem to turn off Personal File Sharing, go back and be sure to check your settings to see if its on.

16. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

thanks for all the suggestions fellas, but something screwier seems to be going on....

When I go to the Print Assistant thing in OS 10.3, it finds 'workgroup' and the 3 computers in it - this one, and my two pcs... so, i select my pc, and what do you know? It doesnt accept my password... I click on the iBook, and.... it doesnt take THAT password either?! Is there something going on with my network setup?? I'm running a Linksys Router - the one that's their number 1 seller.... ummmm, they're all static ip's - 192.168.1.154 for my pc and 155 for my mac....

Any ideas??

Hob