Unable to connect to internet (D-link router)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 325, Sep 8, 2005.

1. 325 macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2005
    I can't access the internet(wired/wireless) using my D-link DI 524 router with my newly purchased ibook.

I tried doing a search on google but i found nothing. Does anyone know how to configure this router? or this router doesnt work with Mac.
    Do I also need to configure the network setting of the ibook? i thought it would recognize it automatically.

My PC is connected to the router and it is working fine.

This is my first Mac so i am a little (maybe not a little) lost.

thanks in advance.
  2. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    More info needed.
    1. If the pc can connect the router is working.
    2. Have you got any security set, eg WAP or restricted MAC addresses, that may be stopping the iBook talking to the router?
    3. Have you switched on the wireless capability of the router (not sure about D-Link but you have to do this on a Linksys).
    4. Can you access the setup page on the router from the iBook (by typing in its ip address into the address bar of your web browser). Look in the leaflet/ instructions that came with the D-link to find the default ip address, username and password. If you don't know these, or have forgotten them check on the D-link web site. If you have changed them in the past and forgotten them, you'll have to reset the router (again, check mfr's web site for info on this).
    5. Have you set up the iBook using the Network settings in System preferences? I suggest that you set it up to use DHCP initially at least, so it will find its own ip address, subnet mask and router ip address.
    6. I would also set it up initially with an ethernet cable, to eliminate any possible Airport problems, eg bad signal or interference from mobile phones etc. When you've got the ethernet connection sorted, then move on to the wireless side of things.

Good luck.
  3. 325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2005
    thanks for ur reply~

I got everything to work right now, both wired and wireless it seems.

My question now is how can i secure my wireless network??
    There are a few options for me to choose from for my router: WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK. Which one should i choose from? Does anyone know how to set it up?

If I choose Mac filters, does that mean only I can access the network? since there is only mac address(mine). Is Mac filters necessary?

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    The simple way to secure your network is WEP or by restricting the MAC addresses you allowaccess to (MAC address filtering).
    Note its MAC and not Mac - MAC stands for Media Access Control, and every network device (eg an Airport card) has a unique one. Go to About this Mac...More info....Netork and look up the Mac addresses for your Airport card, it will look like 00:b7:59:a6:52:c9 ie 6 pairs of characters seperated by colons.
    That is the address you have to specify in your Router security setup page.

WEP in theory can slow up data transmission because everything has to be encrypted and decrypted. MAC address filtering just blocks out any device not on your list - ie any passing stranger with a wireless laptop. But if you run a big network with loads of wireless clients it would be a pain to set up and maintain, but its very good for little networks.