Unable to download stopped podcast

Discussion in 'iPod' started by neptuna, Oct 18, 2006.

1. neptuna macrumors newbie

Ok, so I was downloading a podcast this morning, and it was going fine until my brother closed the itunes window. so my podcast didn't finish downloading, however, when i do try to re-download it i get the following error:

There was a problem downloading "xxx". An unknown error occurred (406)
    Please check that the URL is correct and the connection to the network is active and try again.

mind you, all the other podcasts in this subscription are downloading fine, just the one that was broken during the download.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

restart iTunes and click update all on the podcast

3. neptuna thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that, got the same result. all others work, except this one. is there to way to 'clear the podcast cache' ?

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

delete the whole podcast and re subscribe to it , itunes will ask you do you want to move the files to the bin as well.

5. neptuna thread starter macrumors newbie

that didn't work either, all that did was allow me to download other podcasts from that subscription but the other ones are still giving the error.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

406 is an HTTP error, most likely a server configuration problem (not on your end). When iTunes or any HTTP client sends a download request, it can send a series of headers explaining the types of media, languages, etc. it can handle. Web servers usually don't do much with these headers, but someone may have inadvertently flipped on a setting that is blocking the download for that podcast. It could even be a bum entry in the podcast RSS feed.

7. neptuna thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, sounds good... but would just cause me to be able to download the file the first time, but not the second?

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The podcaster could have mucked with the RSS markup in between attempts, or someone may have mucked with the server. See what happens when the next episode rolls around. Maybe the file is not in the same format they usually use? It's hard to guess without seeing the podcast first-hand :eek:

9. neptuna thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is that it's working fine on the first attempt, but if i get disconnected before the download completes, i'm getting this problem

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

But this has only happened once, right? That still leaves the possibility that there was a change on the server side between the first and later download attempts for that file.

11. neptuna thread starter macrumors newbie

this happened three or four times... i'm not too sure why it is being that way, i'll try to update it again later and see what happens.