Unable to find driver

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by angelneo, Mar 31, 2005.

1. angelneo macrumors 68000

AArrghhh.... I have a major presentation tomorrow and I need to allow my smartphone to connect to my mac. so I purchased and installed PocketMac 3.0 smartphone edition. After installation, it recommended that I reboot. but once I did that, it FROZE on startup with a freakin kernel panic and a <unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook5,4"> Arrggghhh... of all nights, it had to be today just hours before my freakin presentation to my investors!!...

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Try booting up while holding down the SHIFT key. This should disable non-essential kernel extensions, and allow you to remove the bad stuff the program installed.

Lee Tom

3. angelneo thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried that, the kernel panic still comes up.... Now I am using the disk utility from the recovery disk.... hope... there still hope

EDIT: disk utility has failed me....

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

i don't know how good you are with the command line, but you can boot holding Command-V, which will put it in verbose mode, and should show you where the kernel panic is happening.
    then you can boot holding Command-S and go into single-user mode and delete the file.
    possibly.

Lee Tom

5. angelneo thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried verbose, the kernel panic pops up immediately on boot up.. It doesn't even show all the usual command for loading..

I am at my wits end.... I think I will try to do an archive and re-install of the system...It's 3 AM on my time, hopefully I can make it.

EDIT: BTW thanks for the help, Lee Tom

6. angelneo thread starter macrumors 68000

Word of caution, do not install PocketMac lite together WITH PocketMac 3.0 Smartphone edition. It raises hell for me.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Is the phone still plugged in? Unplug it before restarting after the KP.

8. boom macrumors newbie

I had the EXACT thing happen to me

I had it happen to me, buty I do not have the panther install disk with me to boot from. I do not want to reset the whole thing. I have os 9 install, os ten and ten.2 installs just not panther. ARRGH. any ideas on wht to do in the opwn firmware or soemthing?