Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
You've no choice but to multi select them, about a hundred at a time. Fortunately iOS 9 makes this easier by hitting select, then dragging across the photos, instead of tapping on each thumbnail.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I tried select and dragging a screen ful and it crashed again.

I tried the chaing Date/ Time thing as well. No dice.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Does it crash when you delete individual photos?
If you can, then try deleting photos which you didn't take on the said device first. They might have a messed up source.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
[doublepost=1465718603][/doublepost]
You could simply wait 30 days. It's automatic then.

Phone is almost full so waiting is not an option.

Despite that I changed Phone Date & time forwards and backwards "hacks" I read about online. It still does not flush the damn things out. Although if I go in the future, it shows "0" items in the folder, when I come back they REAPPEAR.

Currently doing 50/ 100 at a time using the "drag & choose" technique pointed out above; and this is not without some crazy waiting and "freezing behavior". Any more in quantity and it waits and waits, screen turns off and it pops.

Maybe if I disable auto screen turning off it might go through longer?

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
My iPhone 6 Plus has become a total useless piece of electronics within the chain of my the Apple eco system! :mad:

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

Can't DELETE ALL within the Photo app iOS 9, but stays on the "within 29 days" time schedule???

IMG_1989.jpg

What the heck is my iPhone / iCloud doing? It's totally getting out of control! WHO OWNS THIS IPHONE ANYWAY, me or Apple (iCloud)???

Very frustrating NON-LOGIC issues! I really need some serious help here guys and gals! TIA

Cheers

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
You have to hit "Select" first, then you can choose Delete All.
This is the issue. Photos App runs the Deletion in the foreground and if by any way, the screen turns off/ locked (battery saving) then that process of deletion gets "hung".
What apple should've done/ must do is "invoke" a background Deletion process (because it is a long running process when you have lots of photos), so that screen off etc other apps running do no pause/ crash it.. It can continue in background.

So I found a way / workaround by chance..
- I started DRAG & SELECTING 50 / 100 photos at a time.. and noticed the same issue as described above.. BUT, if I was touch the screen/ swiping etc to keep it "AWAKE" then it would complete.
- I tried batches of various size.. from 25 to 500/ 1000 at a time.. and noticed this phenomenon.

- So I thought how do I keep it running without interruption?

2 key things came up:
- Auto Screen lock - Need to disable / Maximum time
- Disable Low Power mode - To prevent the above as well

- And if there's any other reason for it to get interrupted.. disable that..(e.g Airplane mode. WiFi/ notifications) and keep touching the screen softly.. so you keep it "turned on" ;) ha ha!

Its like a PC that goes to sleep to save power, but in this case the DELETE process crashes if it goes to sleep/ lock or is interrupted in ANY WAY.

So have to keep it awake, LCD on, Full power on, Connected to a Charger.. and then run DELETE ALL..

It's like one of those Apps that FREEZES & CRASHES if you run anything or interrupt it even with a SMALL CLICK.

This is what worked for me.. It was a painful few days trying to get this to work.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have 4GB mysterious spaces being occupied for no reason. iCloud library says all photos and videos are 16GB in size while I can clearly see 20GB on photo library on Mac and on iPhone.
I don't know what should I do for this one. Maybe I need to stay at school tomorrow to try it out.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
IMHO There's something very wrong for the Photos app syncing in the iCloud!

Mac OSX 10.10.5 iTunes syncing:
ScreenCap%202016-08-28%20at%2017.45.24.jpg

iCloud (browser) Photos sync:

ScreenCap%202016-08-28%20at%2017.46.49.jpg

iPhone 6 Plus iOS 9 "Storage & iCoud Usage":

IMG_2037.jpg

Very frustrating that a SIMPLE delete action within the iOS app and iCloud syncing, brings across so much puzzling! :confused:

Cheers

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
As I mentioned I do not use iCloud Photos etc. and this thread was about "deleting" the photos LOCALLY from the iPHONE storage - Not from cloud.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When a phone (or any storage device) gets so full to the brim that there is ZERO space left, it can't really function properly. Even deleting files requires writing something to the disc (flash) during a delete operation until the file is actually deleted.

iOS always needs some free space to work, as it's always writing to the disc.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
^^^^ Sure! But I have no 'luck' whatso ever to even delete photo's to free up some of the 833MB ATM that's bricking my phone. The 30 days waiting time before deletion is absurd.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.