Unable to import video from Panasonic camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by prajagopal, May 15, 2006.

1. prajagopal macrumors newbie

May 15, 2006
    I have a panasonic camcorder which has a USB port. I am unable to import that video into iMovie HD. Can anyone please help? There is a mention of firewire 4 pin to 6 Pin cable. But that won't work with the USB port on Panasonic camcorder, right? Please help.
  2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    You'll need to use the firewire port on the camcorder. Does it have one?

Where is the "mention of 4 pin to 6 pin"? In the panasonic manual? i have a panasonic. I bought a 4-6 pin cable, and it imports fine. If you don't have firewire on the camcorder, return it and get one that has it.
  3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I just realized tonight that I lost my firewire cable. Shot some video last week and figured I could just use the USB cable. Guess it's just for the card. Hope I can find a cable at CompUSA. What model Panasonic camcorder do you have?
  4. prajagopal thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2006
    Unable to import video from Panasonic camccorder.

There was mention of 4 pin - 6 pin firewire cable in this forum. But my camcorder does not come with a firewire port.
    How can I import the video? I did try a USB-firewire combo hub. Connected my USB cable from the camcorder to the hub and went firewire from hub to my mac. But that did not work.
  5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    dont think you can do it through USB in iMovie.... sorry man :( . Gotta have a firewire port... and you can buy one almost anywhere you find camcorders.
  6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What model is it? If it's a MiniDV camera it has a FW port on there somewhere. If it records to a MiniDVD or memory stick it may not have a FW port.

7. Lebowski macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    i have never seen a miniDV camera without a FW port (also called IEEE 1394), it usually has a cover of some sort over it, and may not be in the same location as the AV composite outs.

USB is too slow for video transfer. It is only for still photos off the memory card.

and the USB/FW hub, im sure its just a port replicator ( turns 1 or 2 USB and 1 or 2 FW ports to 4-6 USB and/or 2-4 FW ports.) so technically its not switching USB to FW, just adding more of each (on seperate busses), so no that would not work.

If your camera REALLY doesnt have a FW (IEEE1394) then im guessing its a Hi-8 or VHS-C/ in which case you will need a converter box (analog to FW) OR a slave deck (a VCR to play your Hi-8 or VHS-C sized tapes with a FW out-which is gonna be pricey to say the least).