Unable to Install 10.3 on ibook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheEmrys, Dec 20, 2005.

1. TheEmrys macrumors newbie

My wife has a 2001 ibook (its either dual USB or late 2001 model at 500mhz) that is running 9.2.2. I am looking to start over completely with OS X and have discs for 10.3. However, when I begin to boot, I receive this error:

panic(cpu0): Unable to find driver for this platform: Powerbook4, 1

This happens before I have any sort of action or anything even visible aside from the giant apple on the screen. 9.2.2 works like a charm, and I can install 10.0 (not really wanting to go that route) without any problem, but 10.3 would be perfect.

When I attempt (I've made many attempts), I unplug every external device prior to boot up so it is just me, the ibook, and the power cord. But, usually, it has a USB mouse, USB keyboard, external monitor, and firewire CDRW. I have even removed the extra memory and swapped it for new memory.

If anyone has any insight, I'd be most appreciative. I ran across the same message in the archives, but it was a different situation.

p.s. I did attempt to see if I needed a firmware upgrade, but I did not.

2. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are the 10.3 disks from a different computer or are they retail (boxed) versions?

4. TheEmrys thread starter macrumors newbie

128 base. I have tried it with an extra 128 (256 total) and with an extra 256 (384 total).

5. TheEmrys thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe they were purchased OEM. I believe that makes them the same as retail. Its a bit tough because the computer is my wife's and her dad purchased it before we were married.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I get this feeling too.

I doubt this has anything to do with it, but could this possibly be a DVD and you only have a CD drive?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It was sometime around 10.3 that Apple started shipping OS disks that would only work on the type of machine they shipped with (not relevant to boxed retail versions of course).

In addition, it's actually a violation of the licensing agreement to use OEM OSX on anything but the computer they came with, even if you've uninstalled the OS on the original machine. :eek:

9. TheEmrys thread starter macrumors newbie

She's got a DVD drive, but its a 3 cd pack. I'm begining to wonder if her dad didn't give me discs that were meant for another computer. I'm going to be at their house for the holidays, so I'll probably ask him then. Maybe he's got the set she was supposed to recieve still there (he said he had bought a family pack or something to that effect through his company).