Unable to mount Ext Drive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fuzzai, Nov 10, 2005.

1. fuzzai macrumors member

Hey guys, i have an 80 gig EXT usb drive i use on the mac.

Today while i was using it, the OS crashed, i was trying to delete a file that was in my user names trash can via the admins ID. once i deleted it it told me to press my power button to reboot my mac. i had never seen this

i rebooted, everything is fine, except i can't mount my external drive.

in the Systems disk util, it stats to show up, then it freezed, i unplug the drive, it then shows up as NOT MOUNTED. i tried to do a check disk, but it seems to not be working as its been on Verifying volume for a while now.

Any ideas as to how i can fix this?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I had a problem a while ago where one of my FW800 drives wouldn't mount. It would show in Disk Utility as connected, but I couldn't get it to mount. So I rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior (TechTool Pro can do this, but I'm not sure if it does it as well) and everything was fine after that. Also, try repairing the disk with Disk Utility, as that also fixed some problems another time for me.

Also, you probably experienced a kernal panic. What file did you delete?

3. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member

I noticed that the file i was trying to delete. is on the .trash on my ext drive. and its just like 10 thousand folders in 1

- Also tried to verrify my HD disk in my mac, and it says it needs repairing. However the repair button stays grayed out.

4. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member

When Verrifying i get this error
    The underlying task reported failure on exit.

I noticed when its checking, under "Checking Catalog file. It statys Illegal Name. twice.

5. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member

well i noticed the error i was getting was in the 30page post on the new .3 update. i told my g/f NOT TO UPDATE. but she did. ERRRR

so i will try the fixes in that post.

HOWEVER, my HD still wont load. ill format it again and try it, nothing im loosing in there anyways.

Ta ta for now. if anyone knows why it wont load. PLS do lmk! thanks