Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
On both my iPhone and iPad running 5.0.1, I cannot open many PDF attachments. Some work fine, some don't, and they seem to be consistent between both devices. All these attachments work fine on OS X Lion.

The attachment will download, and once it is completed, it reverts back to the same download icon and then will not open at all. I have searched online for the past hour and can't seem to find someone with the same problem. I have been removing and adding back my Gmail account to no avail.

Anyone can help?

NetworkerDeluxe

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
Have the same issue. I think this is a bug.

Do you have GMail too? Think is is an IMAP Problem.
Maybe the download of the PDF is not recognized correctly
by the Mail App.

Hope Apple will fix it in a later Release.

Regards

jmdagesse

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
pdf's attachments wont open up sometimes on I pad

I have an I pad and I get pdf's sent as attachments to my g mail account which is an imap account I open up many emails with pdf's and they come through but some of the pdf attachments wont come through when they are replied too.Someone at work says that he thinks it has something to do with layers or how they are replied to and might have something to do with the version of adobe does this make sense.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Are the PDFs you can't open from a different source than the ones you can? For example, we have systems that generate PDF files but they are not 100% compatible with PDF readers and e-mail scanners. Many applications generate PDFs now and some don't do it well. :)

FlickFrench

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
I had similar problems, in the end I logged in to my gmail account via safari. From there I could get the mail with the PDF attachment and open in adobe reader. (a free app which I downloaded).
The app Adobe reader says to open PDF just click the small arrow icon in mail and click 'open in' adobe reader. However this isn't possible via mail browser on iPhone4. The small arrow doesn't exist. It is seen when I logged in to my email account through safari however.
I can now view all my mail attachments on the adobe app which is good as I don't need to keep going back and forth into safari to view stuff.
It's a pain to have to go via safari to view PDF attachments instead of direct through mail browser though, so i hope this can be sorted. I believe the previous comments are correct, it's a fault with the mail syncing.
Hope this helps #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.