Unable to Power Off Powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cwhitehurst, Oct 18, 2005.

1. cwhitehurst macrumors newbie

Upgraded my G4 Powerbook to 10.4.2 2 weeks ago and since the upgrade, I have not been able to perform a proper shutdown / restart. The shutdown process goes through the motion but never shuts down. I have hold down the power button or remove the battery to get the system to power off.

Has anyone encountered this type of problem?? Any help would be appreciated.

CWhitehurst

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

repair permissions, go through the proper routines of things, create a new user see if it works for the new one

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've found that Tiger doesn't like quitting apps and shutting down/sleeping at the same time. So, if I quit iTunes but there's still a triangle under its icon (so it's quitting but is technically still running) and then try to sleep or shutdown my iBook it does nothing and it means that I can't get it to work without either just closing the lid to sleep it. Next time I wake it, everything works again.

In short, do you wait for everything to quit before shutting down? :)

4. cwhitehurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for passing this information along.

Eva01 - I will try to repair the permissions as well as setting up a new user to test.

MadJew - I close all apps and windows before shutting down the system. As for the system going into sleep mode, that appears to be working fine. I can place the MAC in sleep manually and it goes to sleep when there is not activity.

Thanks again
    Cwhitehurst