Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
For someone like me, who does not take 'selfies', the fact that every photo taken with the front-facing camera now goes into a 'selfies' folder is cringeworthy.

It is unacceptable that I cannot disable this folder, or rename it to something more sensible, like 'Camera Roll (Front-Facing)'.

Reactions: mrex

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@dhlizard
Sometimes I just don't need the full resolution of the rear camera.
I can't seem to find a setting to reduce the resolution of images taken, so I use the front facing camera when I need to take those lower resolution photos.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
that is so stupid.. pics taken with the f-cam doesnt mean pics would be duckfaces... or anyway being as "selfies"

and then i have selfies taken by r-cam...

great job, apple!

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
that is so stupid.. pics taken with the f-cam doesnt mean pics would be duckfaces... or anyway being as "selfies"

great job, apple!

Apple caters to the masses. The general public's perception is that 99% of the time you're taking a front facing camera shot, it will be a selfie.

They're just coding stuff that applies to the majority of people and obviously the only way to please everyone would be the ability to rename or disable that folder. Of course, this is Apple, so you'll have to wait for the next jailbreak in order to do so.

Reactions: ohio.emt

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

great job, apple!
Huh, what?

How many people turn the camera around with the front facing rear to take a picture you can't even see what you are taking? I'm sure people do it, but that was the reason front facing cameras were included. So you didn't have to turn the phone around to take a picture of yourself.

So "great job apple" for what, that the folder can't be renamed based on what I would guess is a majority use case?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Huh, what?

How many people turn the camera around with the front facing rear to take a picture you can't even see what you are taking? I'm sure people do it, but that was the reason front facing cameras were included. So you didn't have to turn the phone around to take a picture of yourself.

So "great job apple" for what, that the folder can't be renamed based on what I would guess is a majority use case?

Huh exactly! Howabout a timer for example? Does "selfie" mean that you have to use that crappy fronface cam and keep the device on your hand?

Thought of taking duckfaces only is this "selfies" folder idea. Quite narrowed thinking...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Huh exactly! Howabout a timer for example? Does "selfie" mean that you have to use that crappy fronface cam and keep the device on your hand?

Thought of taking duckfaces only is this "selfies" folder idea. Quite narrowed thinking...
Huh?

On the odd case you might want to use the front camera for a time-lapse and not be in the photo, you are going to have to live with the folder name being "selfie" even if your "mug" isn't in the photo. My guess it most people don't use it for that or else apple would have named the folder "front camera time lapse" instead of selfie.

Reactions: ohio.emt and bbfc

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
@dhlizard
Sometimes I just don't need the full resolution of the rear camera.
I can't seem to find a setting to reduce the resolution of images taken, so I use the front facing camera when I need to take those lower resolution photos.

That's a VERY unusual and perplexing use of the front-facing camera (since you can't even see the screen). I can see why Apple doesn't cater to this specific request. Why do you feel a pressing need to shoot low-resolution photos? The difference is size is not huge, and you'd save more space using iCloud Photo Library to limit what is stored on-device.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@gordon1234
If Android can provide the option to take lower resolution photos, why not iOS?

Taking lower resolution photos aren't all about storage space, there are many reasons why people choose not to use the full resolution of the camera. It is sometimes simply the best thing for that particular shot.

I don't use cloud services, with the sole exception of DropBox, when I need to send someone a file.
iCloud Music Library mangling the iTunes library of everyone stupid enough to use cloud based song matching when Apple Music first came out, kinda proves why I don't.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
This is a wonderful example of a user created problem for the sake of having something to complain about.

Use a cloud storage to store your files and you'll have no space issues. Saying "well I won't use them because reasons" and dismissing all solutions isn't really anything Apple is going to ever care about.

If your argument is "well Android can do it", then go and use Android.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
@gordon1234
Taking lower resolution photos aren't all about storage space, there are many reasons why people choose not to use the full resolution of the camera. It is sometimes simply the best thing for that particular shot.

?

I have never heard of a professional photographer deliberately shooting at a low resolution (as an aside, my father is a professional photographer). Higher-resolution photos preserve more detail, you can make larger prints if desired, view them on high-DPI displays without pixelation, zoom or crop them while still maintaining good quality. I would be very curious to see what situations you feel are better photographed with the front-facing camera.

I don't have any problem with someone using something in a unconventional way if it works for them, but it does bother me when someone does this, then complains bitterly because the thing being used a way it isn't designed to be used has problems when being used that way.

Apple made the perfectly reasonable assumption that the lower-quality camera that points directly at the phone's user would only be useful for taking photos of the user, especially since you can't even see what is being photographed if you use it any other way.

If space is an issue, use iCloud - it has not developed the reputation for killing people's library. Don't want to use iCloud? Dropbox, which you already use, has an automatic upload feature that works quite well and can automatically remove local content to free up space.

If you're thoroughly intent on taking low-resolution photos some of the time, there are lots of camera apps (Camera+ being one I've used) that will give you this option.

Any combination of the above things I've mentioned would be preferable to using the front-facing camera.

Last edited:

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I seriously think this guy might be a troll. I've never heard of anyone ever ever using the front facing camera in the manner you describe. Even if you do want to do so, what's so wrong with looking at the word selfie? I mean really??? Can't you just pretend selfie means: low resolution photo taken with front facing camera? I don't like the word "MacRumors" but I'm not complaining about it either. This complaint just seems really really silly to me. This is a non issue if I've ever heard one.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@Jstuts5797
Not everyone who's opinion is unusual in comparison to your own is a 'troll', such accusations are immature and childish.
Just because this is my opinion now, doesn't mean it cannot change.

By attempting to dismiss me as a 'troll' rather than debating with me on the subject, you show your immaturity.

I am just someone who doesn't like the term 'selfies', who is perplexed a basic function found on so many other OS' doesn't exist on iOS.

@gordon1234
I am not a professional photographer, so my experience with the subject is limited to what I know. I was told by another, perhaps incorrectly, that low resolution images are more appropriate for certain shots.

I was hoping for debate that could possibly change my mind, but I get accusations and dismissals of my opinion, as well as what I sought.

Reactions: Böhme417

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'll use the front facing camera to take a pic of things that I can't get my head in to look at. Like the back of an AV receiver, or the model number off a piece of equipment. Like a mirror basically. So it's a little weird to scroll through my "selfie" folder.

Reactions: AngerDanger

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@AndyK
I may be misinterpreting, it can happen.

But I still won't ever use cloud services, I have my reasons (other than that one which seems silly now I've had an hour to think).

But that one person did technically seem to dismiss me as a troll, at least initially.

@cynics
I knew I had a reason for using the front camera on occasion, but seems I forgot, and assumed it was about the resolution. Silly me. :oops:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'll use the front facing camera to take a pic of things that I can't get my head in to look at. Like the back of an AV receiver, or the model number off a piece of equipment. Like a mirror basically. So it's a little weird to scroll through my "selfie" folder.
You COULD scroll through the CAMERA roll.

Reactions: beebarb

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I would rename the folder 'front camera' if I could, because 'selfies' is a childish term. However, it doesn't really bother me. It's a name more fitting with a cheaper youth-oriented phone IMO but hey, it's an accepted term in the modern world and so Apple have gone with it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ignoring it makes it no less weird.

Just like me trying to ignore your empathis on "CAMERA roll" makes it no less weird.
Emphasis on CAMERA vs SELFIE. To each their own, the use of the term "selfie" is fairly commonplace. Although the term implies a subsequent upload to social media, I take a lot of selfies with my wife and upload them to icloud so the family can share. I don't really like the term selfie anyway, but in the scheme of life, starting a thread about that particular issue on an on-line forum is way down on my priority list. But I do think apple should change it, and the nomenclature at first, I thought was funny.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Emphasis on CAMERA vs SELFIE. To each their own, the use of the term "selfie" is fairly commonplace. Although the term implies a subsequent upload to social media, I take a lot of selfies with my wife and upload them to icloud so the family can share. I don't really like the term selfie anyway, but in the scheme of life, starting a thread about that particular issue on an on-line forum is way down on my priority list. But I do think apple should change it, and the nomenclature at first, I thought was funny.

I don't care about it, just find it a bit weird. I forget it's even there most of the time like the other folders.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
@dhlizard

So use one of the umpteen more full-featured camera apps from the app store, that allows you to set the resolution lower. Many are free, so don't use that excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.