Unable to sign in to iMessage with Mountain Lion 10.8.2!

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by hyperipod, Sep 25, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Jun 27, 2010
    Since I upgraded to OS X 10.8.2 I can't login to iMessages or Facetime.

When I go in my settings to login I enter my Apple ID and my password (100% it's the right one, I still purchase apps on the App Store with it) and then it acts as if it logged in, but everything is greyed out and there's a little grey spinning animation, then it asks for my password "Please enter your password for bla@bla.com", I enter it, wait 5 seconds, and it asks again and again and after 3 times it says "Could not sign in to iMessage" "The credentials of the registering device have expired".
    It seems to me that the problem started appearing when I updated to 10.8.2, but now I restored from a 10.8.1 Time Machine backup and it still does the same thing. (Updated back to 10.8.2 since then)

Also, I created a new account to try to login to iMessage with it and it did work.

This is extremely annoying since I just got my first iPhone (an iPhone 5) on friday and now I can't make it work with my computer the way Apple wanted it to work :(

Also, once or twice (?) a day I get a message saying "com.apple.dock.extra quit unexpectedly"

Here's the log of that crash message

Anyone knows what the problem might be?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2011
    Apparently it can happen if when you signed up for your Apple ID you put a capital letter in your email address. Dunno if this is what it actually is. But sign into appleid.apple.com and see if your Apple ID has a capital letter. If so get rid of it.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 27, 2010
    I just checked on appleid.apple.com and there are no capital letters in there...
    Thanks though!