Unable to update Mac OS X on old ibook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ricebag, Oct 8, 2005.

1. ricebag macrumors member

Hi all,
    I decided that it was about time I started my 2001 ibook (dual usb, 500 mhz, combo drive) over from scratch. I had it dual-booting between os 9 (the only reason I'm still keeping it) and Tiger, a situation I wanted to keep, so I reinstalled everything from the original CD. Just like when I bought it, it will now boot into either OS 9 or 10.0.3.
    10.0.3 is pretty unusable, so I tried to upgrade straight to Tiger. The CD says it can archive and install or erase and install, but not just upgrade. I tried my 10.2 cd too (I also have 10.3, and I thought I had 10.1 but I can't find it).

So first - would archive and install leave the os 9 part untouched so I'd still be able to boot into os 9? If so I'm set.

If not, why can't I just upgrade? Do I need to install 10.1 first or something? It has been so long since I needed that CD that I think I've lost it, so that would suck. Obviously, that's how I did it the first time around.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes. The only thing "Archive and Install" archives is the old OSX stuff--the OS9 system folder will be left intact, and you'll be good to go.

Because not many people ever used 10.0 and almost none do now, Apple probably neglected to put in the framework for a direct upgrade from it to 10.4. Plus, 10.1 was ostensibly a "free" update when it shipped, giving them even less reason to bother dealing with direct upgrades.

No worries for you, though, as the archive'll do the trick.

3. ricebag thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much!