unable to update os x version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wootang71, Jan 10, 2005.

1. wootang71 macrumors newbie

i had that drag and drop prob with 10.2.8 and i ended up having to do an archive reinstall with the original 10.2 discs. the problem is that now i'm unable to update to 10.2.8 again using software update. i even tried going to 10.2.5 and it still won't update. i'm stuck on 10.2. any ideas?

2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

have you tried downloading the combo updater from apples site? :confused:

3. wootang71 thread starter macrumors newbie

totally. i actually have the 10.2.8 combo update on cd. it won't update. then i dl from apple's site. won't update. then i tried 10.2.5 from cd. won't update. i rememeber an early update that was important for future updates, but that was for 10.1, and when i read about it on apple's site, they said it was not needed anymore. any other ideas?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you getting an error message? Or is the updater just refusing to launch? Or something else?

5. wootang71 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, at first when i reinstalled os x, software update automatically launched and showed the option of installing 10.2.8 combo. so i did that. it dl, then in the middle of the installation process, it says that it couldn't successfully install the update. to try again, select download to desktop from the options menu in software update. so i did that. then i 2x clicked on the combo dmg file and installer launches. nothing happens. so i go to file>open and select the 10.2.8 combo dmg and the installation window appears but there's no text. and the 2 buttons that usually say previous or next are blank too. that's the whole deal so far.

6. wootang71 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, it's .pkg, not .dmg on those combo files i downloaded. not sure if that makes a difference, though. and when i talk about the installer window that's blank, it says 'install mac os x update 10.2.8' on the header with introduction, read me, license, yada yada down the side.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sounds like your 10.2.8 updater is damaged, but since you've tried a couple of different copies, I now suspect Installer.app. I'd send you mine, but I'm running 10.3 and putting 10.3's Installer.app into a 10.2 system would probably just be asking for trouble. Maybe you can somehow extract a new Installer from your original OS X CDs.

8. wootang71 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool. thanks for the advice. however, i'm not even sure where the installer.app is located, let alone try to extract it from the original discs. is there any other way i could get an uncorrupted copy?