Unactivated Verizon iPhone 5 (unlocked)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcelo4527, Nov 23, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I bought an unactivated verizon iphone 5 at best buy, but I'm not currently in the US so I asked my girlfriend to pick it up at the store..

I got it because I want to use with other carriers
    I've seen people telling me that I have to activate it with verizon first so then I woujld be able to use it with other sim cards, and some people said that I don't have to activate with verizon, I can just put any sim card and it will be already unlocked and good to go.. I called verizon a few times and the same thing happen where some would tell me the first case, and others would tell me the second case..

Dis anyone got an unactivated iPhone 5 from verizon and never got it activated with verizon and it worked? Did anyone got it from best buy? Thanks!

2. macrumors regular

All the Verizon phones are unlocked just get yourself a Nano-Sim and you are good to go.You dont need any activation or verizon confirmation.Nothing :D Just put in your sim and use.

3. thread starter macrumors member

That's great!! I'll test mine with a different carrier sim as soon as I put my hands on it :p

4. macrumors regular

Go ahaed .I use Verizon , my friend bought it from US and now I am in Turkey with Turkcell and works properly and never had problems. :D

5. macrumors 6502

VinegarTasters

Does the iPhone 5 Verizon model work with other CDMA carriers in other countries? Anybody try that? Like Japan or China.

6. macrumors member

Can the phone be picked up from the BestBuy store without a Verizon account?

7. macrumors newbie

Yes

8. thread starter macrumors member

Yes, just get the full price, unactivated one

9. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Only the GSM slot is unlocked.

10. macrumors newbie

Marcelo4527 and Serkan, did you test your phones? do they work on 4G networks?