unanswered question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yamsham, Sep 15, 2006.

1. yamsham macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2006
    sorry to repost this from last week...although i did get a response that i appreciate, it did not necessarily answer my question.

maybe my question about taking care of my ibook was too vague...but what i really want to know is does it matter how long i keep my ibook on as opposed to sleeping (closed but on), or shutdown? is there a secret to getting the longest life out of my mac in terms of how long i keep the machine on/off/sleeping.

i use the computer everyday, at various times throughout the day and usually leave it on for a week or so, and then shut it down overnight about once a week. during the day, when i am not using it, i shut the lid but leave it on.

any thoughts/comments/past experiences would be appreciated!
  2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I never actually shut down my Mac unless I am going to be out of town for a few days. On my MacBook, the screen goes to sleep after an hour of being idle but the system is always ready to go. Obviously it goes to sleep when I take it to class with me and the lid is closed. I never shut the lid when it is sitting on my desk at home though.
  3. orangephoto macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    when i leave my powerbook open and let the screen sleep instead of shutting the computer and letting it sleep i run into a problem

every time i go to use it the track pad doesnt respond and takes like 5 minutes to work. at first very slowly then better after that... i solved this problem by simply shutting my pbook every time i wasnt using it..

i dont know if this even helps u
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    The trick to getting a question answered is to put some semblance of the actual question in the thread title. Vague and nonspecific thread titles such as "quick question," "another quick question" and, "how do I?" are ignored by many users of this board.
  5. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Well the obvious answer is to keep it off. I bet it will last year if it is always off.