Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csmithcarcano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
I've just purchased an Airport card for my Powerbook G4 867 with OS 10.2.8, and a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router.

Good news: I connect to the Internet through my Airport with no problem (just had to select "Airport" in Network and run the Airport Setup Assistant in the Utilities folder).

Bad news: When I type 192.168.0.1 on any browser (which supposedly should take me to the router's configuration page, as instructed on D-Link's manual) and I enter the supposedly correct login name which is "admin" and leave the password field blank, IE 5 just says "401 Unauthorized", while Netscape 7 and Safari pop up the log-in window over and over.

Any clues would be highly appreciated.

csmithcarcano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Yes I did try to reset it. I even unplugged my cable-modem, router and shut down my PB. Then start all over. Still nothing.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have that router. It basically just sounds like there is a password that's been assigned to the device, and you don't know what it is. :)

To clear the password you'll need to do a hard reset of the router. There's a little hole you can push a paper-clip or other thin thing into. That'll reset it to the default of no password.

Having said that, you should never manage a router like that over wireless. You should always use an ethernet cable. I believe the manual says that as well.

BTW another thing about that router. Whenever you do a firmware upgrade it'll reset to defaults - so it'll lose the admin password, any WiFi security settings, etc.

csean

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Venice (the old one)
Need help with this D-LINK 614+

I too am having problems with my first try at wi-fi.

I have a DI-614+ Rev. A and a Netgear DG814 modem/router, the latter used for my DSL connection. Up until now (1 year) the Netgear has worked perfectly with our WIRED DSL connection, with up to 3 Macs: Pismo, G4 AGP, PB 3400.

I'd now like to try wireless for the two powerbooks: the Pismo has an airport card and the 3400 an Orinoco Wavelan Silver.

I got the D-Link access point/router cheap, so if it doesn't work I could sell it and get something else. Though it seems that it should work, so if anyone could help out here, many thanks.

I wired the D-Link to the G4 and set it up as per instructions, also updating to latest firmware (2.30). I kept WEP security off for the time being, to avoid hassles. I also kept default settings, as suggested in manual. I then powered it and the Netgear off, powered them up again (first Netgear, then D-link), all lights were on, etc.

I opened Airport Assistant on the Pismo (10.3.3), then opened Network settings and chose Airport: it said that Airport is on and that I'm connected to the web via Airport. Wrong. No web or email connectiongs get thru (no server, etc.). All the IP and other settings show up in Network prefs: Airport ID, IP address, Subnet mask, router address, etc. (under Using DHCP).
Under Internet Connect, Airport shows a full signal (all bars colored) and shows a Base Station ID.

It seems everything's working, except that the Netgear and D-Link aren't communicating right. Possible?

Could I give them different IPs? They use the same 192.168.0.1 in the web browser to configure them, so maybe there's a conflict? Though the D-Link shows up under Attached devices (on the Netgear) as IP 192.168.0.2, while the G4 desktop is IP 192.168.0.100.
Under Gateway Status (in the Netgear settings), the WAN Port and LAN Port have the same MAC address (POSSIBLE PROBLEM?). And the WAN Port shows an IP address of 82.48.162.181, while the LAN port is 192.168.0.1.
Also, the WAN Port has DHCP = "none", while the LAN Port has DHCP = "Server".

Lots of info, though no idea where to go from here.
Any and all help MUCH appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Chris,

Why not turn off the Netgear? The DI-614+ does have four wired ports, and while I may be miscounting you seem to mention only three wired connections that are needed.

But I can't see how the dual setup could work since they're both trying to use the same address space. I know you can change the DI-614+ address range, so if you really need both routers for some reason I think the first thing you need to do is change that - maybe use 192.168.1.xxx as the address range.

csean

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Venice (the old one)
Solving the D-Link dilemma

Thanks Westside guy, I'm pretty sure it's an IP address thing, as they both use the same address by default. Just have to change one or the other, though I believe the Netgear DG814 modem/router can be configured to work in only DSL modem mode.

I can't turn off the Netgear as it's my DSL modem. The D-Link is only a wireless access point/router. I'll try setting the Netgear as just my DSL modem, with the D-Link as my WAP/router, with the 2 powerbooks connected wirelessly and the G4 desktop hard wired to the D-Link.

Before I try to find the Netgear manuals.... anyone know quickly how to set the Netgear modem/router to Modem Only mode?

And/or give the Netgear and D-Link different, unconflicting IP addresses?

May be basic stuff to many, but it's a first for me, so I don't really know where to begin.

Just wanted to stress that the hard wired DSL network was working great with the Netgear and 3 Macs for a year. Would now like to "simply" add a wireless access point to the DSL network. Or, if it's easier, the Netgear in modem only mode.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Chris

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
csean said:
I can't turn off the Netgear as it's my DSL modem. The D-Link is only a wireless access point/router. I'll try setting the Netgear as just my DSL modem, with the D-Link as my WAP/router, with the 2 powerbooks connected wirelessly and the G4 desktop hard wired to the D-Link.

Sounds like you need a Wireless Access Point, not a Wireless Router...

csean

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Venice (the old one)
D-Link 614+ setup problems

Thanks Rezet, I'll probably take you up on that offer sooner or later.

I believe the D-Link 614+ is both a WAP and router. If I had had to buy it, I probably would've opted for the cheapest WAP without router, as the Netgear DSL modem/router was working super, but I got the D-Link 614+ for next to nothing, so I thought I'd give it a try.

So now I have a non-wireless DSL modem/router (the Netgear) and a wireless access point/router (the D-Link), so clearly there's too much router action going on. I assume that the best way to proceed is to "turn off" the router functions on ONE of the two units. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know if it's any easier to do on one vs. the other? I'll wade thru the manuals to see in the meantime.

Also, can someone provide a quick tip on giving one of the units a different IP address than the default one? How do you do this? I couldn't find it in their manuals. I think this is the source of the conflict between the two, i.e. both using 192.168.0.1 by default.

In short, if someone can help here, I'd like to:
- assign a different non-default IP address to one of the units
- turn off the router functions in one of the units
- *if possible, I'd like to leave the Netgear as the router/modem, because it's worked so well for a year, so the two points above, if possible, would apply to the D-Link 614+

Any other tips are greatly appreciated, as it's pretty obvious I don't know what I'm doing here.

Thanks,
Chris

csean

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Venice (the old one)
Re. Problems - May have them SOLVED

Thanks for all the tips. I wasn't getting very far, so I delved into the bowels of the D-Link online knowledge base and found some info on setting the 614+ to "access point only". This sounded promising, as the Netgear DG814 DSL modem/router was working fine, so didn't want to mess with it.

The first step to set the 614+ to access point only was "don't use the WAN port"! They said to connect a crossover cable from the modem/router to one of the 614's 4 LAN ports. And it worked! I just rebooted the two and my Mac, and upon reboot, when I turned Airport on, I immediately saw the default network was available. I checked the Network prefs and all the addresses were good. I opened Explorer, hit a URL and I was surfing wirelessly!

Pretty good range on the D-Link too. I get about 85% signal strength from the basement to halfway up the first floor stairs. I plan to put the access point on the ground floor, hard wired to the modem/router in the basement, where I've got the G4 desktop and an ethernet-equipped laserwriter, which I hope to use wirelessly. The signal should be okay for any computers on the ground and first floors.

If not, any suggestions for a wireless repeater/bridge? I've found the Linksys WAP11 pretty cheap. Anyone got any feedback on it?

Thanks again.
Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.