UNC Greensboro says "No" to Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Community' started by DavidLeblond, Aug 15, 2004.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

My girlfriend goes to UNCG and though she doesn't live on campus, she found this to be funny:

http://resnet.uncg.edu/nfaq.html#b4

Apparently they have now banned Windows XP Home from campus. Of course I think this is more of a competency issue with the IT staff than a problem with XP Home, you don't ban an operating system that is probably used by most of the college's population. I have noticed, however, that the university is mostly Mac based. Thats nice. :)

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is odd. I"ve been running windows XP for several years now and it is much more stable than any other version of windows I've used. I haven't crashed yet (knocks on wood).

I've used some macs at different elementary schools (sorry no version I could name) and found them difficult to navigate and very unstable (they crashed several times). The newer ones I recently used I found difficult to figure out but that would have been easily solved over time.

Anyhow, XP is a great OS. So banning it seems rather dumb. Ban 98 or 2000.

Please no flames, I know you all love MACs. I'm really just jealous because I can't afford one :p

3. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Well based on what I've read the reason behind banning XP Home is that it doesn't support domain access. What probably happened was UNCG hired a new head IT guy who use to be a corporate IT guy. He was probably use to domains and also use to saying "ok guys we need to upgrade" and have a company-wide rollout. He probably didn't think that a lot of college students can't AFFORD a $100 OS upgrade, especially since most of them probably won't notice any difference between the OSes except maybe the "Loading" bar turning from green to blue when you boot the OS.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't know why MS even makes a "home" version

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Domains are a good thing. Trying to manage apparently "5,000+" systems without them would be a nightmare. Active Directory rawks for management.

6. Mac til death macrumors regular

My University has banned dorm access to anyone who has Windows XP Home on their computer. (They will not even allow you access if you have a Dual-boot Linux/XP Home, you have to completely delete XP Home...) The school said this decision is completely a Security decision (Apparently they can't "push" a patch to an XP Home machine?)...

I was happy to have my powerbook though... The only allowed Operating Systems in the dorms are:

Anything that isn't Windows (Mac OS, Linux, Unix, etc.)

or

Windows 2000 Professional or XP Professional

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think I know why. Previously the most expensive Windows upgrade was about $89 bucks. Because the upgrade price would go up to about $200, people were going to accuse Microsoft of using their Monopoly to screw everyone with a price hike. The solution was to cripple XP and sell it at a discount and users that Windows 95/98 wouldn't have had those additional features anyway. The upgrade price was adjusted for inflation.

8. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Little Known Fact:

With some hacking of the registary, you can get Domain access and the Directory-thingy working on XP Home.

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Windows just created a free upgrade to XP users that fixes this problem. Ours were installed just a few days ago.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

this isnt terribly surprising, when i was in college my school, brandeis, strongly discouraged use of xp home, as it did not work well with the computer-to-computer network system.
    xp home has never been regarded as a great choice in a networked system.

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm puzzled. I'm pretty sure my version is XP Home. and I've networked 3 computers w/o a problem.

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i think the cap is 5 or 10, so its fine for a home setup with a few computers, but not good with a whole network of computers.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Gotcha... Thanks :) We are talking networks as in large number of computers.... which leads to the question doesn't "home" mean "home" :confused:

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i don't follow. do you mean it should be usable anyplace you call "home" even if "home" includes 2,000 computers?

the cap is an issue though, because brandeis often used its network for posting homework assignments, etc, and if you couldnt connect to the network you had to go through the far more cumbersome method of "logging in" as though you were an off campus student, which required getting a temporary username and password, etc. they were fanatical about keeping the network closed off to unidentified users.

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

The opposite. Home is where you might have 5 computers tops.