Uncapping Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, May 1, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yo. I have been looking into information on uncapping my cable modem. I dont want to UNcap it, but just boost the UL and DL speeds a little bit.

My brother used to work for the cable company (installing modems and stuff), so he knows all about the modems. He said they dont notice the speed that you are getting unless it is going at like megabytes a second. I would not like to go NEAR that high. I would probly just see if it would work, and if it was ok, leave it on. But most likely turn it off.

The modem I have is the Toshiba PCX1100U, and I am not sure its uncappable.

To uncap, you have to do this. Get a PC, then get your Host IP with this program. You then have to make a config file exactly the same as your ISP has, only change the numbers to your needs. Change your IP, and reset the modem. It will look at your PC for the file, find it, and boot with it. Then you change your IP back.

You are now uncapped.

But I have read that the PCX1100U cant be uncapped. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. Are there any suggestions on a modem to buy to maybe get a better UL connection, or just a modem that is uncappable?

check out www.cablemodemhack.com for more info.
  2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    not sure if we can talk about this sort of thing? but anyone have any info on adsl modems too??? westell for example?
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i don't see why not, its a lot liek overclocking your cable modem. hes not stealing anything jsut realizing the full potential of a service he pays for.
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    I'm not messing with my ISP right now, they have a contract clause that is like
    'if you somehow do anything we don't like we will steal, rape and torture anything you own, have known or like'

I swear Cablevision is evi like that...

I don't think the Mac has these programs, probably linux and unix, but then again, you need to hassle with thousand line commands, if you find something, I might try it, but I'm not getting out of my god-like cable connection (last reported at 2.2 MB) :cool:
  5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I am pretty sure that his contract specifies the speeds he pays for. For example, my house is a 1024/128k cable modem.

My office, (at double the cost) is a 1024/256k cable modem. I know that my contract specifies what I pay for.

(But I know that most cable companies are evil. Ours isn't that bad, but we are used to Bellsouth for telephone. I think they trade phone service with the devil for pointers on how to screw consumers.... :D)
  6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah i'm pretty sure it's contractual too, but i am pretty damn sure i'm not getting anywhere near what i should be most (if not all) of the time. trouble is, i can't remember what i should be getting, i went one speed up from standard too.
  7. jethroted macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    And when you buy a mac it says on the box what the speed is, and it tells you not to tamper with your hardware. People still do...