undeleteable file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gokhan, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

i downloaded a file from the net and stuff it opened 50 % and quit now i cant delete the file because it says its in use by another task !!!!

Help !!!!!!!!!

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Are you trying to trah it and it says it is in use? If this is the case, then restart and then try to trash it.

3. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

suggestion :restarted

i shut down the system several times only to be met with the same problem but to ur credit never restarted is this procedure so different ????

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

If you get info on the file, you might be able to fiddle around with the ownership and permisions, then delete it.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hmm, I know there's a simple way around this. But I don't quite remember what it is... maybe holding down another key while trashing the item? such as the option key, or maybe the control key? Sorry I'm not being more helpful, but I think there's a very easy fix here. I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about...

6. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

goto version tracker and look for a program called delete it , it will solve all those problems

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you're comfortable with the command line you can probably do it from there. You may have to do it as an admin (use "sudo" in other words).

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Doing it from the terminal:
    type "sudo rm "
    including the space but not the quotes, then drag the file onto the terminal window and hit return. You'll be prompted to enter your password (as you type you won't see anything, don't be suprised when you don't see the bullets). Hit return again, and you should be all set.

There are other methods available, and some are probably easier to understand, but using the terminal is by far the fastest.

9. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Nancy Pineda macrumors newbie

This has happened to me in OS X and what I did was, if I remember correctly, was restart in System 9 and access the file that way and it went in the trash no problem.