Under 1mps in Chicago suburbs with LTE on ATT...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jer9542, Nov 1, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Aug 20, 2010
    Hello, I guess this only applies to people living around Chicago, but I'm in Highland Park and for the past few weeks I have been getting LTE speeds ranging from .30-.70mps around the suburbs (same problem in Lake Forest and Deerfield). This has been a consistent issue for at least 2-3 weeks. My buddy who lives in Lake Forest has the same issue. My latest speedtest (while typing this) is .32 download, and 9.17 upload. Everything was fine when I first got my 5. Anyone else experiencing this??
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2007
    Chicagoland, IL
    I'm a bit further south than you, and a little west perhaps...am in the Plainfield/Naperville/Joliet area.

I can consistently get 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Sometimes more, it depends on my exact location & the time of day. No matter where I am around those towns/areas. There is a bad stretch on Naperville/Plainfield Road where there's practically no signal at all; but otherwise the speeds I get in and around my area are solid.

I've even seen 40Mbps down at my home, which is faster than my near-businesss-class internet/wi-fi at home.

AT&T is solid for me both at home & where I work, south of the city. It's why I've stuck with them, really no complaints.

I'm sure though on my next trip downtown (to Chicago) will be as craptacular as it's always been with any iPhone I've owned. It's bad in Skokie & Niles & other parts north of the city I get to from time to time. Not sure how AT&T can improve their signals in those areas…
  3. macrumors 601

Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
  4. macrumors member

Jun 18, 2010
    I live about 15 mins away from you and have been having the same problem since 2 weeks ago. I called ATT about it and they have yet to call me back!:mad:
  5. macrumors member

Jun 27, 2010
    Same issue in Skokie. North side. I know it isn't my phone. Got 15 in oak brook last weekend.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2007
    How is that even possible? I thought AT&T had a 5x5 deployment in Chicago, which I believe has a theoretical speed cap of 37Mbps.
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2009
  8. macrumors 68000

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm in Northwest, IN and in the morning I can get 50mbps down. :D
  9. macrumors 68030

Oct 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    not true, in that speed thread I saw some go as high as 63mbps. I guess it depends on tower congestion.