Underclocking the Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dreamkatcha, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Yes I know it's already very quiet, but after using a totally silent iBook for the last 9 months the whiney fan noise is starting to grate my nerves. It makes a fairly smooth, low-key whooshing sound which is fine by me, but there's also quite a high pitched, piercing undercurrent to it that I'd really like to eliminate.

So does anyone know if it's possible to slow down the CPU and subsequently reduce the RPMs of the fan? With hindsight I probably should have bought the slower 1.25GHz version.

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Just a guess here, but the high pitched sound you hear might be the Hard Disk.

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

The only way I know of through software works on G5's and laptops, but I'm not sure about iMacs and/or Minis... Anyways, if you haven't tried already, check the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences and under "Options" select "Reduced" for processor performance... Again, I'm not sure the minis have this, but since they're essentially powerbooks with a different form factor and no screen, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

If the mini had a normal case fan which it doesn't, i'd recommend you put a silcon casket. I've only seen pictures of the fan, so dunno if you could possibly rig something similar. btw in submarines they to put (so website say) silicon casket to lessen the noise generated by fans.

5. Dreamkatcha thread starter macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Thanks very much for all your replies. Lots of possibilities to investigate there which I hadn't considered. :)

6. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Honestly, the loudest part of your macmini is the optical drive. So if you want it completely silent, just use flash media.