Undercover 1.5 Adds Push Notification Tool to iPhone Theft Recovery App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Macworld reports that Orbicule has updated its Undercover [App Store, $4.99] theft recovery application for the iPhone and iPod touch to include a tool that utilizes push notifications to entice thieves into opening the application to allow it to transmit the device's location to Orbicule's recovery center.
    Orbicule has also posted a video preview of Undercover demonstrating the new push notification feature.

Article Link: Undercover 1.5 Adds Push Notification Tool to iPhone Theft Recovery App

2. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Does it have to ask the thief if they would like to show their location?

3. macrumors 6502

dwman

Neat app, but all you need to do is safeguard your phone using a 4 digit passcode and they would never even get to the home screen.

4. macrumors 6502a

Most thieves would know to pop the SIM immediately upon heisting the device.

5. macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Interesting question. And I'd like to know the answer too. Although I am assuming if you have launched the app

6. macrumors 68000

BeyondtheTech

Interesting concept, but the Push Notification shows "Undercover" as the application. I don't know if that's good to show, but I don't know if they have control over showing that or not, or naming it something else.

7. macrumors 65816

So...
    It's basically a worse MobileMe.
    Got it.

8. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

So Apple is endosing an App that puts up a fake pop up, to get you to click on it, enabling the App to preform a subterfuge operation.

Basicly it is "legit" trojan

could another App developer hide a simular function in An App that they push through a pop up that does harm?

9. macrumors 65816

ob81

GREAT question. Wow. I wasn't even thinking like this.

10. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

nice idea but limited

I like the app, the girl is also hot good reason to put her on the video, hehe. :D

App for me would be more for knowing where your kids are than a thief, though I would say a good percentage of thief's will not know to pop out the sim card. If they are that sophisticated then they are in a different level than what this software could do. For that level of thief you would need this to be hidden and secured in a way that even if they put it thru itune or took out the SIM card once a new SIM card was put in even if it was someone else it would still work.

Yes I know way over what the cost of this app. I would say parents and maybe student who forget where they left their phone or maybe a bum on the street who steels it and does not get the chance to think to much about it. I like to see the app been able to run on the back side but apple I figure would go ballistic. :eek:

11. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, A worse mobile me, that doesn't cost $99 a year for stuff that you can find much cheaper elsewhere.

12. macrumors newbie

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooo.

More powerful less clunky solution for jailbroken iPhones: http://www.ilocalis.com/

13. Guest

Surely

Is that all MobileMe does? Seems like a rip-off for $99 a year.

:rolleyes:

14. macrumors newbie

bar1967

except one HUGE flaw with password is you can turn off a phone without having to enter a password. That is a must fix for a future OS release! I have learned the hard way. With in minutes of my phone being stolen (with password on) it was turned off and I assume SIM card ejected. Come to think of it, too bad there isn't a way to not eject SIM card with password on but I guess that is going a bit too far.

15. macrumors 68030

Watabou

People know how to easily bypass the passcode these days. The passcode doesn't really help. It just keeps the really dumb ones away.

16. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I love how the push notification that gets sent says "Undercover" :confused:

Can that be changed or taken out..

17. macrumors 65816

kjs862

Pretty nice given its relative low price point

18. macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I disagree. I would say that 49% of iPhone thefts are professional thieves that already have their own iPhone and will immediately power off and rip the SIM out of the stolen phone, but the other 49% are most-likely people that have never had an iPhone and just want to "joy ride" it. If this software can track down HALF of stolen iPhones, it is a success compared to the current status quo.
    (although I MUCH prefer the Mobile Me version where you can actually follow them in your car, on your laptop computer :) :apple: )

19. macrumors 68020

Willis

Surely it wouldn't matter if you take the sim out or not. I think it registers the phones IMEI number and general hardware details as push notifications don't come by texts. ;)

20. macrumors newbie

Interesting post. You have any evidence to support those figures? Would be interested to know your source, assuming you didn't just make them up of course. Also wondered about the other 2%, do they eat the phone?

21. macrumors newbie

SarahPalin

And her name is "Trekker" -- that's just too good. Makes me want to re-enlist at Starfleet Academy.

22. macrumors regular

Yeah sending your iPhone messages begging the perp to give it back and remote wipe is ok and all, but I am waiting for MobileMe to feature remote initiated self-destruct! :D

23. macrumors newbie

Waait, how easy is it to bypass the passcode?

After a quick google search, it seems to indicate that you can bypass the passcode, but only by wiping out all the data on the phone. Is that what you mean?

Being able to bypass the passcode and leave the data intact would be a huge problem for identify theft. But if they can only get there by wiping out your phone, that would be bad, but not nearly as terrible.

24. macrumors 68030

bytethese

I didn't realize that I was paying $99/yr only for the ability to get back a lost iPhone. I thought I had web space, iDisk, pic galleries, push email, wireless contact and calendar syncing, system settings backup, etc. Stupid me. :)
    Not easy for your avg thief, but "easy" for a forensic analyst to bypass. :)

25. macrumors newbie

Can you be less vague? Are we talking about some guy with a laptop and a USB cable or are talking about someone with a logic probe?