underground marketing on macrumors?

Discussion in 'Community' started by meta-ghost, Nov 4, 2003.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

saw a segment on 60 minutes last week about "underground marketing". basically, advertisers have found markets so saturated with ads they are struggling to find a way into our lives. so they plant young, hip, good looking people in cafes, bars and internet chat sites to promote products without the recipient aware they are being target marketed. one sick scene was at a cafe where a fellow was playing a laptop video game with a vr hand device letting someone else use it and saying his predefined cue: "it's like your in the game man...".

so how often is this happening on this web site?

2. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Well, I don't know anything about "underground marketing", but I do know this:
    There's nothing as refreshing or delicious as a delicious Orange Fanta. Just grab and ice cold can at your local retailer and you'll be ready to go.

That's interesting, but I don't think I've noticed it no Mac Rumors at all. ;)

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

OMG, pyrotoaster works for Fanta and is doing undergroud marketing on MR :p

If no obvious undergroud marketing is going on here, it's quite possible marketing companies are surveying what's said on this kind of site: what people like, want, how to sell to them, etc...

4. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, but if it's obvious it's not underground marketing.

tell me that the person who started the following thread on a Logitech mouse could not be a marketer...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45754

maybe we know him/her but in other situations - no.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Whenever I see a post like that, I usually check the person's profile. If they only have a handfull of posts, I might be suspicious (there was an ugly laptop bag promoted by a newbie recently that raised a red flag with me).

6. the future macrumors 6502a

Ok, just in case then... WE WANT A BADASS APPLE PDA/MOBILE VIDEO UNIT, DAMMIT!! There you go...

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some people (I won't mention any names) have been promoting flossing your teeth in their signature, unfairly influencing MR members and giving no voice to the opposing (don't floss your teeth) viewpoint.

Seriously now, if a marketer is doing a good job, we won't be aware that they are shilling for their company. We can't avoid the problem, but we can follow a simple rule - don't take advice without considering the source. If you ask what's a good router or digital camera, take the advice you get with a grain of salt, especially if it's from a newbie with no history of talking about other topics.

8. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Oh, come on. You obey must be kidding. Next buy you will be saying produce there are subliminal messages send Arn all your money on MacRumors.

9. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

That was the most unattractive bag ever made.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: underground marketing on macrumors?

this part isn't true about MR? :D

11. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: underground marketing on macrumors?

well, i may not be young anymore, or hip, but i'm still pretty.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nope...

No pretty and hip marketers on MR.

Just ugly trolls swinging by to spout their filthy lies about the joys of Wintel.

---

If any hip and pretty babe stopped by, she'd be stalked by the horny nerds around here. Or at least one member looking for a Visa.

In the end it would be a pretty ugly scene, especially if she ended up in the drunk or equipment size threads.

But anybody willing to stop by and sell string bikinis with Apple Logos are quite welcome, as long as they keep uploading new pictures. (On second thought -- Maybe not) :rolleyes:

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i wont comment on marketing within Macrumors, but on an interesting note, the book 'Pattern Recognition', which has a small section about a character that does what you are talking about: introduce products in an informal setting in an "anti-marketing" type fashion :)

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Buy Apple Products! You will hate Microsoft! To like Microsoft will cause you great pain. Incredible, icky pain...[/subliminal message]

Wow that one seems to have worked around here!:p

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this type of "underground marketing" has been around for decades. bacardi did it for a while in the late '80s, planting what were basically hookers in bars to get people to order bacardi drinks, make the guys think bacardi was sexy to women. i think the simpsons or the family guy mentioned it once. it's not at all uncommon, i'm surprised people are just now taking notice.

i doubt anyone on MR is one tho... apple has enough fans that they don't need plants. could some of the trolls here be MS employees? ah, well, they're certainly annoying enough...

pnw

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It was the Simpsons, in the episode with Moe getting together with Holly Hunter. Then Homer runs Moe's car off the cliff in front of the cops.

"Hawaii? Who's going to Hawaii? Am I going to Hawaii?"

"Stop saying Hawaii!"

17. pinto32 macrumors 6502

hmm....now that I think about it....APPLE has been doing this for years!!! It all makes sense...they have been making beautiful, reliable software and putting in eloquent machines as part of some evil plot to convince people that they know what the hell they are doing!!! EVIL EVIL APPLE!!!!!

18. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Wow, those must have been some very well spoken machines, what with them being so eloquent and all. I think you were looking for "elegant", and just missed a step. ;)

19. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Eloquent:
    1. Characterized by persuasive, powerful discourse: an eloquent speaker; an eloquent sermon.
    2. Vividly or movingly expressive: a look eloquent with compassion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=eloquent

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Eloquent: Either of two very large herbivorous mammals of south-central Asia or Africa, having thick, almost hairless skin, a long, flexible, prehensile trunk, upper incisors forming long curved tusks of ivory, and, in the African species, large fan-shaped ears.

From Doctor Q's Dictionary, now on sale at amazon.com and bookstores near you! I find that is the best dictionary on the market, IMHO, and I think you will too. Buy it today. Sale ends Saturday. You'll be glad you did.

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

WTF? semantics fight? whats going on?

so is this the new trend in marketing?

22. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

23. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

That's interesting, I thought this whole site was one big unofficial mac advertising campaign :)

24. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

What about "Yvan eht nioj" in another Simpsons episode, or the Movie "Josie and the PussyCats." Sub-advertising is everywhere,

25. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares