"Underground" movies we should see

Discussion in 'Community' started by AngryLawnGnome, Mar 1, 2004.

1. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

There are so many movies out that some gems are often overlooked. Any recommendations for movies we should be watching?

To start it off, Wet Hot American Summer, a summer camp parody by some of the member's of MTV's old "The State." It is honestly the funniest movie I've ever seen. Not many people know about it; it's only showing in some theatres in New York. There's actually some big name actors in it. Rent it, trust me, you'll laugh your ass off. Check it out here: www.wethotamericansummer.com

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm a big fan of the movie "Kids". Most people get a real shock out of that movie and its more or less very real ...

3. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Two come to mind:

City of Lost Children

Delicatessen

Both are in French, but are definitely worth watching. Weird, awesome adventure(?) movies. By the makers of Amelie and Alien Resurrection.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you want to rent some great but lesser-known movies from years past, here's a random selection:

Geeky stuff:

Brainstorm

Colossus: The Forbin Project

Office Space

Tron

WarGames

Drama:

any Alfred Hitchcock film

Tiger Bay
    (I think I'm the only one who has ever seen this movie.)

Pure fun:

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

A Shot in the Dark

Time Bandits

Horror:

If you like scary movies and haven't already seen it, rent The Exorcist. And, although it is shocking, if you can find a copy of Freaks, the Tod Browning movie from 1932, it's amazing and unforgettable. I saw it at a monster movie marathon years ago and I can still visualize scenes from it.

Edit: Of these, only Freaks is really an underground film. But go see all of these movies anyway.

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Not really underground, but everyone should see Brazil. Make sure that you watch the version edited by Terry Gilliam and not the studio/theater release, "love conquers all version", because it completely distorts Gilliam's ideas.

As far as current movies, people should see Fog of War. It is a documentary by Errol Morris, "Thin Blue Line", and won the oscar for best documentary. It is only showing in a very limited number of locations, but if you have any interest in history and McNamara's views on everything from the depression, to his time at ford, to vietnam you should see it. Its not really a conventional documentary since it basically consists of Morris interviewing McNamara and trying to make him speak his mind, meaning there are no views other than theirs. It is interesting watching Morris try to make McNamara admit certain things and seeing just how intellegent and quick McNamara is at nearly ninty.

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I love getting bargan-bin DVDs just to see how bad they are, and learn how to do some cinematic tricks with a low budget. I have come across some gems though.

Falling Down is a great flick about a man who gets fed up with the little asinine things of an average day. Explosions ensue.
    The old Godzilla DVD set rocks. Great for parties.
    I'm not sure how underground it is, but Kaiju Big Battel is pretty sweet. Taught me a lot of little tricks for special effects in Final Cut Pro.

7. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I just saw Dogtown and Z-Boyz recently and was really amazed at the history of the skate genre. A must see for anyone partially interested in the history of skateboarding. Thats my recommendation.

Now for film student girlfriend to chime in. Go see Happiness. Incredibly and wonderfully revolting. Phillip Seymour Hoffmans best role. If you like that, try Julien Donkey-Boy. It's absolutely nothing like Happiness but still worth seeing.

8. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I'm a big fan of documentaries and one of my favorites (I'd consider it fairly underground) is Crumb, about artist R. (Robert) Crumb. Definitely check it out if you are familiar with Crumb's work, or even if you're not for that matter. This film led me to the purchase of the beautiful, over-sized collection of his work, "The R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book," which is a great book. The man is simply brilliant (slightly nuts, due to a seriously messed up childhood, but definitely a genius).

Another great documentary is Roger and Me, but I think most people have probably seen that one... Any other Michael Moore fans out there? He spoke here at the campus of Michigan State a few weeks ago, it was powerful. He was funny as hell, too, but also intense and angry... he drew a HUGE crowd, too. (Sorry, getting off topic here!)

ND

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hero

It's supposed to come out in the US but Mirimax wants to cut the sad ending, which totally ruins the movie. I mean, can you imagine if they cut the sad ending of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? That would have ruined the movie.

I couldn't find this movie at blockbuster, or hollywood video. I had to call around and then go to a local video store.

It is excellent though.

scem0

10. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I checked out the link on Julien Donkey-Boy and realized it's by the same director who did Gummo, which is another underground film that is very bizarre but worth seeing. I will have to check out Donkey-Boy.

Another good film that I don't think many people have seen is called Box of Moonlight. VERY good. Has one of my favorite actors in it, too: John Turturro.

11. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Hear Hear, Vector! Brazil is an amazing film -- although would my signature give me away as a Terry Gilliam fan?

I found out about a movie that I was shocked not to have known about when it came out, Equilibrium, which I'm sure everyone here will be like "oh you didn't see that? loser...", which is basically true. Can't believe it didn't blow away Matrix. But I guess it didn't have the fine actor Keanu saying "whoah".

Titus is great if you're in the mood for something heavy / somewhat intellectual (Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange in Shakespeare's psycho tragedy).

For something a little different, everyone should see Darren Aronofsky's Pi and Requiem for a Dream, and Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko. Probably not "underground", but it would be criminal for anyone not to see these films.

For a REALLY interesting foreign film, see Lucia y el Sexo (Sex and Lucia), but it's kind of X-rated so DO NOT watch it with the kids (or with the parents, for that matter... awkward!) Good to watch with the girlfriend :D

Once I go home and scan through my DVD collection I'll post again with more :)

12. Apple //e macrumors 6502

13. alxths macrumors 6502

I've seen Donnie Darko and as far as I can tell it's just a very overrated attempt at an artistic and deep film. It seems to me that people with hardly any mind of their own just cling to it to assure themselves that they are indeed intelligent...hmmm, what if we could travel through little wormholes...what if.. but maybe that's just me.. i dunno, if anyone managed to get anything else out of it, please enlighten me.

Andrei Tarkovsky isn't really known in the mainstream; but he makes some of the most inspiriational films I've ever seen... I'd recommend pretty much anything by him, but be warned: the pace is very very slow..

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Even though it got an Oscar nomination this year, I'd consider American Splendor to be an underground film.

And how 'bout this music video posted by one of our own (a Macrumors member) earlier today? link

15. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

It's a damn shame that is the best Follywood can come up with about the great "Henry Chinaski" aka Charles Bukowski. In the special collections at USC, they have a Bukowski collection and list as one of their holdings a completed screenplay for Post Office. Now that I would pay to see.

Best underground flick: Sympathy for the Devil by Godard

16. Soma_Addict macrumors member

"Meet the Feebles"-Directed by Peter Jackson. I dare you to watch it. Seriously a part of my innocence was destroyed by that film, which is exactly what Peter Jackson intended.

17. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    It was known over here as "One Plus One" and as much as I thought it was going to annoy me with it's social pretentions and the slow tedius piecing of a rock classic, I just couldn't take my eyes off it. Brilliant piece of film making. I believe that Godard wanted to work with The Beatles but they turned him down, and I'm glad they did.

18. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

i've seen it, a couple of times, it's good.

anything by finnish director aki kaurismaki, the best film maker ever, is worth a look.
    The man without a past

19. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've seen a lot of these movies, but what is the definition of 'underground' movie?

Some not mentioned yet - Big Trouble in Little China with Curt Russell and Kim Cattrall

Evil Dead (I liked #3 the best)

And a great sci-fi from the 1956! - Forbidden Planet

Sure its got Robby the Robot, but its actually quite a serious thinker of sorts. And probably one of the best sci films pre Star Wars that I've seen.

D

21. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i know its been mentioned... but i cant say enough good things about Requiem for a Dream... but ill add... American Psycho, Donnie Darko and Ichi the Killer...

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Since sci-fi is so popular in this thread, try Cube, a dark film about a group of people who wake up, trapped in a macabre maze resembling a 3D version of those sliding picture puzzles..

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

24. logicat2001 macrumors regular

25. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Cube was good, but the sequel Cube 2: Hypercube was just bad.