Understanding a an iMac document

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HeyMAC, Sep 19, 2004.

1. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm pretty sure it means that if your mobo (logic board) gets fried you can get a replacement from Apple and, if need be, easily replace it yerself. Possibly<sp?> it *might* mean that when new iMac G5's come out you can buy the new logic board and install it in yer current iMac G5.

Lethal

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

The answer is no. The video card is integrated and part of the mobo. Since there's no AGP socket in the iMac, there's no way to upgrade the video card.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, any time you want to upgrade your graphics card -- you'll need to buy a new machine and/or logic board (which usually will cost a whole heck of a lot more than selling the old machine and buying a new one.) ;)

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Theoretically, you'll be able to upgrade the graphics card because you can upgrade the midplane. However, you'll have to upgrade the whole mid-plan, not just the graphics. I tend to agree with earlier posters that the idea will be more like "easier to replace fried logic board" than "a possible avenue for upgrades" But that is just my two cents.