Understanding the histogram?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kamera RAWr, May 26, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I just want to start off by stating what others already have, the MR forum search leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. Or perhaps I just don't know how to use it properly. Anyway, I read a bit here and there in different threads about evaluating a pictures' exposure via the histogram or at least that impression of what it says. Could the experienced of you out there help me understand it a little better than my meager understanding? I'm sure others would benefit as well. BTW, if there's already been a thread on this, you can just ignore this one and send me a link :D

2. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What do you mean? The left side of the histogram is completely black, the far right is white.

As to how a histogram should look: That depends on what you're photographing. Look at what you're photographing, and ask yourself what the exposure should be? If there are lots of things in a photo that should be white or brightly exposed, then there's going to be a lot of pixels on the right.

If you're taking a photo of something dark, and you're hoping to get a silhouette of a person or something, then expect a lot of "black" photos.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Thanks, even that little bit there gives a little more knowledge. I appreciate your feed back :) . I thought this thread was dead and no one would respond. Thanks again.

4. macrumors 601

Westside guy

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Been to that site before, but never saw that tutorial. They help even more :D

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors 6502a

sblasl

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Thank you all so much. I've learned much more about histrograms thanks to your advice and links :D